C h a p t e r T e n

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "Run" By Snow Patrol

C h a p t e r T e n >

"Hi."

The hesitant greeting gets Cassidy's attention off trying to follow after her suddenly disappearing sister and on the speaker. Connor stands about ten feet away, shirtless and watching her with cautious hazel eyes. He's wearing a gray and bronze wolf mask. The bronze is ornately decorated around the ears, snout and forehead of the mask and long black ribbons that tie tightly around the back of his head. She can see a few strands of golden hairs flopping over the top of it, highlighted by the hanging full moon in the sky.

Cassidy wraps her shawl tighter around her and tries to think of something to say. She knew this moment would come but no faced with it she's at a loss for words. He looks so handsome and after her conversation with Poppy she feels silly for treating him like she did. She needed the time to think but now, only a few hours later, she can't remember why. A few minutes more of silence and Cassidy still can't come up with anything good to say. What can she say to the guy who's supposed to be the love of her life?

Cassidy and Poppy had been hiding for the past few hours on Poppy's insistence but suddenly she had wanted to go for a walk. Cassidy thought it was suspicious but figured they were just stretching their legs from being cooped up in that tree for nearly an hour. Now, Cassidy can see why. She must have known Connor was close by. It's the only explanation. Cassidy looks around for Poppy but doesn't see her anywhere, which has her internally cursing her to high heaven. A little warning would have been nice at least!

"Cassidy?"

She snaps her head in his direction with wide eyes, "Y-Yes?"

"Are you okay?"

"Y-Yeah," She stutters out before quietly adding, "A bit stressed but I'm okay."

He tilts his head to the side as he sticks his hands in the front pockets of his low hanging jeans, "Stressed about what?"

Cassidy tries to keep her eyes on his face but with the motion he's pulling the waistband of his jeans lower. She can see a faint V-shape indent to his hips that disappear into his jeans. It's distracting and has her mouth growing dry and her hands tightening into fists. She shouldn't be thinking the dirty thoughts she is right now. She's in the middle of the woods with a guy she's supposed to be having a serious conversation with. Just tell that too her horny teenage brain though.

"Just...things," She answers in a strained voice, making her wince. Could she be anymore obvious?

"You're wearing white," Connor observes with a hint of disapproval in his voice.

Cassidy looks down at herself and shrugs a little, "I'd already bought the dress."

"But don't you think it gives off the wrong signal? White is the color of a person without a mate."

"I know what it means," She tells him with a frown, "I grew up here as much as you did."

"Yet you still chose to wear it."

Cassidy gives him a full glare this time, "Are you going to always comment on my clothes? This is the second time now."

Connor smirks at her a bit, "Maybe."

"Well stop, it's annoying," She grumbles before looking up at him hesitantly, "Besides, I haven't accepted you yet and I haven't told anyone about our...bond yet."

"You think they don't already know?"

"Do they," She asks with a gasp, "Why didn't anyone say anything?"