The Date

“Have her home by midnight, or else!” I heard my dad threaten as we hurried out the door towards Mark’s Dodge Magnum.

Leaning closer to me and throwing an arm around my shoulder, Mark asked, “What do you think he meant by ‘or else’?”

“Knowing my dad, he’ll come after you with his new toy.  He just got his concealed handgun license, you know,” I joked.

Mark looked a little sick.  My dad was a pretty big fella, without the additional intimidation factor of a concealed handgun. 

Lightening the mood I probed, “So where are you taking me?”

“Well, m’lady, that’s for me to know and you to find out,” Mark said with an adorable wink.  He looked so handsome in his light blue Buckle jeans that were slightly tattered at the knee.  His muscular arms were accentuated by the way his black v-neck tee hugged his biceps slightly. 

Before pulling out of the driveway, Mark turned to me and pulled a bandana out of his pocket. 

“You can’t see or you’ll figure out where we’re going.  Turn around so I can tie this blindfold on you.” Well this was a first.  I had definitely never been blindfolded for a date before!   

I sat patiently in the passenger’s seat as I felt the car make multiple turns, accelerate, slow down, accelerate, slow down, stop, curve to the left, stay straight, and finally park.  If I hadn’t been so excited for the surprise, I probably would have been nauseated from being blindfolded during Mark’s typically-male reckless driving.

When Mark finally removed my blindfold, I was still squeezing my eyes shut tightly.  I got caught up in the mystery of the “surprise” and wanted to savor that feeling for a moment longer. 

“Uh, Leigh…  You can open your eyes any time now…”

I peeked open one eye slowly, followed by the other.  I couldn’t believe the scene that lay before my eyes.  Mark planned a romantic evening picnic beside the city’s duck pond!  Atop the picnic table before us lay a red and white checkered blanket with an old wicker basket off to the side.  I spent a moment taking the sight in. 

I loved this park.  It was the original property to one of the town's founding settlers back in the 1800’s.  The pond was simplistic, oblong and blob-like in shape, with towering pine and oak trees surrounding its’ perimeter.  Being November, most of the trees had already begun to lose their leaves.  An aged log cabin set off to one side, recently restored by the historic commission for its cultural value.  Despite the dreariness and decay associated with the changing seasons, there was so much beauty in the pond. 

Broods of Muscovy ducks chased after groups of children who were tossing bread in their direction, squawking maniacally.  One little red-head girl was crying as she tried to get away from the ugly duck that was chasing her.  I couldn’t blame her really.  Muscovy ducks were some of the ugliest creatures I had ever seen.  Their feathers were white with peppered specks of black scattered randomly across their bodies. Their faces were hideous.  Contrasting their black and white bodies, their heads were covered in what looked like red warts and boils, with a large red knob at the top of their beaks.  I knew they weren’t really warts or boils, but they looked gross enough to be. 

I turned to my Mark to see him smiling proudly at his creation.  Holding my hand, he helped me join him on top of the picnic table, “Sixteen Candles” style.  He pulled out two white Styrofoam plates, which I chose not to protest about even though they weren’t biodegradable and I liked to be environmentally conscious.  He did plan this whole date for me after all. 

“Wait ‘til you feast your taste-buds on this shit,” he exclaimed pulling out a square Rubbermaid container filled with our dinner. “Close your eyes, now!  It’s gotta be a surprise too!”