Preparing for Dinner

When Clare got to the kitchen she wasted no time in making sure that Beth knew the shape she had found Charity in. "She rang the bell, I went in to find her barley standing. She said all she needed was a bath and some tea and she would be fine. So helped her in to the bath, but I would have preferred to put her in bed. Several of those rocks hit her hard enough to leave marks even with all the padding of dress and under dress in between her and them. I made certain to put plenty of bruise medicine in the tub, and left her in it. Making sure her head would not slip under when she fell asleep. Now I am here for her tea, but I must wait for it to brew, and someone else will need the first pot. Also how formal is dinner to be? Someone seems to have forgotten to inform her."

Beth shook her head. "Poor things nothing but skin any ways, now this." She busied her self, taking up a sweet bun. "This goes with the tea, when it is ready, in another ten minuets. Wish it could be more but it will take a good thirty to get her ready for dinner. They are going full formal tonight and a ball after."

Molly ran in. "That is so, and Miss Chastity is in a fine temper, at having to get herself ready. She tried ordering Kat to do her hair. Then when she did not she threw a brush at her. Luckily it missed, but stay away from that part of the house. I need some tea for the ladies dressing room."

Clare laughed. "Hear take this pot, it is ready, and I want to wait a few more minutes. Let Charity sleep a bit. But can you tell me what full formal means? Or better yet send up someone to Charity's room in thirty minuets or so? I have no idea and as worn out is she help will be needed."

Molly looked at her. "That bad? I will send someone to help you. That is far easier than explaining what is needed. This is your first formal, you should have help." With that Molly took the tea and ran.

Clare chatted a while longer than head back up the stairs. Charity woke at her entrance, but Clare pretended not to notice. "Ok here is you tea. Diner is to be full formal, and as I have no idea what that is Molly will be sending up someone to help in a bit. So I would suggest you get the leaves out of your hair. I might not know what full formal is, but I am fairly sure leaves would not fit in."

Charity laughed and ducked her head under the water, getting the leaves and dirt out of her hair. Then got out of the tub, wrapped up in a big towel, and accepted a cup of tea took a drink then sat the cup down and went over to her closet. "Both of us will be grateful for the help. This" she pulled out a bunch of frilly fabric, "is the under dress I must put on over my slip. If you will lay it out on the bed, while I dig out the next layer." Clare took it and did her best to spread it out on the bed. Then turned back to Charity who was reemerging from the closet. "This is next." Handing Clare another under dress. "Then if it will work, I want something new." She crossed the room and pulled out a long, full, sky blue dress that had little flowers on it and white trim at the neck. "I found this in here and I think it will fit. What do you think, am I to young for it?"

A voice from the door said, "I think it is perfect. I know just what to do with your hair for that dress. Is there shoes, or should I send some one to hunt for them?"

Charity turned to the new comer. "There are a bunch of shoes in the closet, I am sure one pair must have been for this dress. I am not sure this dress will work with my under dresses though, and I did not see any in there."

The new comer went and looked at the bed. "Hum it does not look good, but I think I know where to find some that will. You set down and eat that roll cook sent. Clare you dig out those shoes. I will be back. Oh put the dress on the bed." With that she left.

Charity put the dress down and stared at the door then changed her towel for a dressing robe. Sitting down and taking the roll she asked. "Just what was that?"