Chapter 3

Author's Note: This chapter is set just after Burning Low, so this chapter is a little later on than the first two. Seeing as the episodes are about a season apart, this chapter and the first chapter are about 6 months apart (:

~ ~ ~

Princess Bubblegum sat at her desk, resting her head on her hands. Today was hard, but at least Flame Princess is okay. PB didn't want to think about what would've happened if Jake hadn't sealed that hole.

She thought back to what she told Finn earlier that week. About how sometimes responsibility came before relationships. Obviously Finn didn't understand; he's only a kid. But Bonnie definitely understood. It was her own life she was talking about. She wanted to be with Marcy, really she did. But that's not the duty of a princess, nor was it a practical idea.

Bubblegum pushed herself out of her chair and sighed. She was tired and upset and all she wanted to do was curl up in a ball and sleep.

"You sure you don't need me?" the princess asked her butler. She was exhausted, yes, but nothing came before her role as the ruler of the Candy Kingdom.

"Yes, Princess, we'll be just fine. You go take a nap - the kingdom will still be here in a few hours." Peppermint Butler replied, smiling kindly. PB nodded her head and watched her butler stride away.

The princess hauled herself upstairs and sleepily undressed. She was too sleepy to take a shower or clean her teeth, she'd do it in the morning. Lying on her bed, she stared at the ceiling, focussing and unfocussing her eyes until they steadily closed and she drifted off, despite the setting sun still shining through the boysenberry curtains.

Bubblegum awoke 2 hours later to a quiet hissing in her ear. Half awake, she sat up and turned on the bedside lamp. There was Marceline, lying on her stomach on the right side of the bed. PB jumped at the sight of the vampire and let out a muffled squeal. How the hell did she get in here? Marceline, who had fallen asleep about a half hour earlier, shot out of the bed and flew into the air, slamming her head on the ceiling and chipping the paint.

"Shit!" Marcy yelped, rubbing the wound with her hand. Freakin' fantastic, she thought, that's gonna bruise. Her attention was brought back to the princess, who was standing by the side of her bed, clutching a pillow to her chest, her eyes wide with alarm.

"M..Marcy..? What the hell are you doing in my bedroom?! What if someone saw you?! What if-" PB started but Marceline cut her off, floating down to the ground and placing a finger over Bubblegum's mouth.

"Dude, chill out. Nobody saw me. We're completely safe." the Vampire Queen smiled, taking Bubblegum's hand in hers. PB gave her a look that read I'm not convinced, but Marcy ignored it. 

The two stood mute for a moment, holding each other's hands.

The silence ended with Marceline pressing her cold lips against PB's bright pink ones. The princess was stiff with shock. Fuck, fuck, FUCK the vampire thought, and she pulled away, bright red.

"I'm so sorry. Shit. Ugh, I messed up, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have come." she mumbled as she threw herself back down on to the bed.

"No, it's okay, Marceline. It was unexpected, I'm sorry." Bonnie said quietly, sitting down in the desk chair. She wanted to crawl across her bed and kiss the vampire even more, but she had already made the night awkward, and it would just be weird anyway.

Marceline smiled shyly at the princess.

"Still, I'm sorry. It was a dumb idea to come here without asking anyway. It's just..I dunno...rude?" Marcy shrugged, "I'm gonna go home. I'll see you soon, yeah?"

The princess stood up and placed a gentle kiss on Marceline's forehead.

"I'll see you soon." she smiled, and watched the vampire float out of her window and back home.