Ch. 5 ~ Savior

~Cara's P.O.V.~

Walking off stage, the tears are falling freely. I don’t try to stop them. The song is about my grandparents. My grandfather never met his mother, and his father never got over the fact that she died in childbirth. My grandma died two months before I auditioned.

I find myself on a bench over looking the golf course that is next door to the hotel. I’m not the biggest fan of golf, but I learned how to play. It’s a couple of hours where no one will bother you. A couple of hours where it doesn’t matter that you graduated early because the bullying got so bad. Where no one cares if you couldn’t fall asleep the night before because your mind was over thinking your whole life. Breathe. In. Out.

The slight breeze caresses my face, and I give in for a moment. I let out a sob and will myself to stay strong. I’m better than this. Better than the gaping hole inside my heart. I open my eyes and tuck my ruby red hair behind my ears.

“Hey.” A soft voice makes me jump. I look up into the eyes of the most beautiful person I have ever seen. I know the face well. Deep set eyes, hazel orbs, slim top lip almost over shadowed by his full bottom one. The smile that makes hearts melt no matter where he goes. Mine included.

“Nate.”

“Hey.” He repeats, and questioningly looks towards the empty spot to my left. I nod.

“Hey. I didn’t know you auditioned.” Making stupid conversation. He knows it.

“Are you okay?” He avoids the subject change and gets to the point. He knew the song was about my family. He was at the funeral.

I just look out, taking in the palm trees swaying in the soft blow of the sky. Almost like they were rocking me to sleep. Trying to bring peace to my longing heart. I can still feel his eyes on my face, I know there is a sad expression in his eye. His whole family hated to see someone cry. Matt the most, but everyone had that special gift of pure, raw sympathy.  

“You have an amazing voice. I was surprised.” I don’t face him. I can’t tear my eyes from a couple down on the course. Matching checkered white and sky blue outfits.  You could tell they had been together for a long time, their subtle moves where almost always in sync.

“Humph.” My shoulders slightly raise, causing me to choke on a sob I was holding in. His arms wrap my frame and I forget I’m supposed to be strong and silently cry into my savior.

“Um, Cara?” I look up through swollen  eyes at Micah.  A timid smile on her face. “I ordered us pizza for the room. I figured you wouldn’t want to eat with everyone. I can put the food in the fridge for later.” She continued seeing Nate’s arms still protectively around me.

I looked from her face and saw that the sky was fading into a black sheet stained by a gold and crimson color. Like a child had taken a paint brush and splattered dye on a black paper. Wiping my eyes, I tried to steady my breathing.

“No, I’m coming. Thanks.” She turned and walked around the corner. I knew she would wait to walk up with me.

“Tha—“ He puts his hand up, and just shakes his head. Like he knew I was going to apologize for getting tears and snot on his shirt. He smiles and wipes my eyes.

“Get some sleep. Tomorrow’s a big day.” Getting up he walks the opposite way. I turn and blindly follow my roommate to the comfort of my bed.