2// Then

Then.

Leonardo.

I aggressively pat down the remaining creases on my suit jacket, cursing myself in the process for waking up later than usual and not tending to this sooner. I glance at the clock and realise my interview for the internship at the Fray Mannor Interiors on the other side of town is in 45 minutes.

Smoothing my dark hair until it looks presentable and giving myself one more look over in the mirror, I grab my folder and head out of my studio apartment, silently praying that I get the intern so I can move the hell out of here.

Being 21 and straight out of college, I forbid myself to move back in with my parents. Both lawyers who own their own firm yet still have a grudge against me for my pursuing their wishes and following their footsteps. I would have failed miserably in becoming a lawyer.

So here I am, taking the subway to the interview that could possible change my life. I sneak a glance out of the tinted window behind and watch the clouds begin to merge into one, creating a dark and grey rain cloud. Whilst rolling my eyes at the sudden change of weather I try stay positive.

**

A bus rude, 23 elevator floors up and down and a 5 block walk away later, I find myself on the outskirts of the town on a well lit street with hardly anyone in sight.

The interview was better than expected and I should receive a call in the next two working days. A rather large grin is planted on my face.

The narrow street is filled with bakeries, butchers, sandwich and coffee shops and just that instant my belly rumbles in hunger as I begin to make my way to the nearest building, brushing away the remaining speckles of rain that have landed on my suit.

Collinsons Coffee Shop.

I smile in delight, opening the door which chimes to welcome me. My eyes scan the scene before me. A well lit fireplace situated at the back of the shop surrounded by armchairs. Several hard opal tables and chairs at the front of the room with patterned rugs layed out of the floorboards.

The smell of coffee fills the air around me and the hum of the machine behind the counter the only source of sound. The atmosphere feels so homely I don't realise that someone has approached me.

"Good morning sir, would you like a sample?" I blink down at the grey haired woman with a polite smile, holding a tray of delicious looking cake.

I glance at the name tag then back to her face, nodding my head in response.

Avery Collinson.

Grabbing a small piece of cake, I popped it into my mouth and moaned in delight before hearing a soft chuckle from the woman Infront of me.

"I made it myself." She winked, the wrinkles next to her eyes deepening. She watches me in pleasure as I take another piece and devour it in seconds.

"I think this is the best cake I've ever tasted. Thank you for bringing me such joy." I politely comment and she smiles in approval.

"Certainly my dear, if you would like a bigger piece. My granddaughter will gladly pick you one, just ask at the counter." Avery Collinson suggests, gesturing the tray she's holding towards the counter opposite the wooden tables.

My eyes follow and that's when they land on her and I straighten immediately. Her long, brunette locks are tucked nicely behind her ears letting me glimpse at the soft, large eyes that are currently in the middle of reading a book. Her olive toned skin reflects from the sun that has made an appearance through the large open glass windows. From afar I can see the dimple in her right cheek whenever her cheeks lift just a fraction.

A small cough erupts in the background and brings me back to reality as I realise I've been quite literally staring at this girl for a few moments. The old woman's eyebrows are raised which makes creases on her forehead, the nod of her head and the small smile on her lips gestures me towards the counter, only then do I realise my breathing has quickened.

The young girl isn't aware of my presence, her hair falling In front of her face as she props her elbows on the counter for support whilst reading the book. I'm not sure why, but I'm transfixed at the sight. I glance at what she's reading and roll my eyes deliberately, only a minute later do I speak.

"Safe Haven. Nicholas Sparks. How cliche." I try not to sound so sarcastic.

Her dark eyes quickly widen when she notices me and I somehow get lost in the colour of them. The young woman straightens and quickly places the book on the side whilst placing her long, locks back behind her ear. I couldn't help but notice the redness forming on her cheeks.

"Guilty pleasure." The young woman replies, giving the book a glance before looking back at me. "What can I get you?" Her voice was what I imagined and I grinned showing my pearly whites in which she frowned slightly, waiting for an answer.

"Your grandmother recommended the cake she was sampling. I will have your biggest piece and a regular coffee please." She smiles and I return the gesture before grabbing my wallet from my back pocket.

"Did she also tell you it's homemade? She doesn't normally leave that bit out." I watched as she tended to the cash register, her eyes narrowly avoiding mine as she spoke.

"She did indeed." I reply. As the young woman takes my money, I tap the my fingers on the edge of the counter repeatedly not understanding what the sudden nervousness is all about. Whilst she is distracted, I take another good look at her, the Collinsons Coffee Shop logo embroided into her black apron. I try to find the name tag to fit the face without looking like I'm trying to stare at her chest.

"My names Sophia by the way, if it's the name tag you are looking for." She doesn't even look up from the cash register but I see the smirk on her lips.
I suck in a breath, realising I've been caught out.

"My aunts dog is called Sophia." I roll my eyes as soon as the words leave my mouth but my mind is blank from still gazing at her.

She must think I'm weird.

"It's a beautiful name." I say through clenched teeth when she doesn't reply, trying to make the conversation less cringeworthy but I see the way her lips spread into a soft smile showing her dimple.

"And what do they call you?" Sophia's eyes are back on me now after handing me the receipt.

"Leonardo." I reply not knowing why I told her my full name when all of my friends and family(except my mom) call me Leo.

"Like the painter?" She asks sounding intrigued of my mothers name choice for me. Sophia's elbows are again propped up on the counter and her head is resting nicely on her hands.

"More like the actor, my mom is obsessed with him." We both laugh in unison and I watch her inch a bit closer as I take my hands away from the counter.

The door bell chimes once again signalling a new customer and Sophia immediately straightens up right, giving me a small smile before gesturing towards the seats opposite.

"If you would like to take a seat, I will bring your coffee and cake straight out for you." Sophia kindly comments and I begin to step back from the counter giving her a slight nod before heading towards the seating area.

5 minutes later after she had tended to the customer, I saw her approaching my table, steadily holding a tray of deliciousness as she put it down gently In front of me.

"Thank you Sophia." I smile up at her and am suddenly surrounded by a faint smell of mixed fruit perfume.

"Your welcome Mr DiCaprio." Sophia smirked taking the empty tray and making her way back to the counter.

"I see what you did there." I laugh back at her, my own heart fluttering inside of me.

I make it my promise that if I get the internship, I will come everyday after work just to sit and admire her beautiful face.

And I did just that, for 2 weeks straight until I finally got the guts to ask her out.