Chapter 6

Section Six

Martian Ruins

1701 Hours

April 12th, 2167

Alyssa came around the corner just as Fletcher jumped through the hole that had been blasted in the wall.

“Alyssa!” He ran and wrapped is arms around her. “Why didn’t you answer your comm-band? We’ve been trying to reach you.”

“My comm-band said I was out of range. I think it’s the metal alloy in the walls. Fletch, we’ve got a man down. I found him unconscious by the main computer console.”

“What was he doing?”

“We were trying to get these computers running. We got one going it started displaying something that looked like a warning message. Derek went to look at the main computer and I found him laying there just a minute ago.”

Fletcher pointed at two men who had just come through the hole and said, “You two, follow Doctor Anderson and get Mr. Derek to the medical center.”

The two men nodded and said, “Yes sir.”

Alyssa, I know you are going to hate me for this but I need you to come back up with us as well. You can take that as an order.”

“I figured you’d say that. But I’m coming back down here later.”

“We’ll see about that. I’m going to have a security team check it out first.”

* * *

An hour later, Alyssa, Fletcher and Tom stood behind a glass wall looking at Derek, who was still unconscious. A medical doctor stood beside him wearing a clean suit. Derek had been isolated just incase his condition had been caused by some type of alien virus.

The doctor stepped into a small room and a door sealed him into it. A red light flashed three times and then turned green signaling that he was free of any micro-contaminates.

He then made his way into the room were Tom, Fletcher and Alyssa waited.

“How is he doctor?” Alyssa asked.

The doctor pulled his mask from his face and spoke, “Medically, he’s fine. There doesn’t appear to be any type of virus anywhere in his system. He has just gone into some type of deep sleep. The only thing I have found out of the ordinary is that his brainwave frequency had slightly increased. But only by about half of a percent.”

“What do you think that means?”

“I’m not sure that it means anything. I’ve never seen anything like this before.”

“Keep us updated on his condition doctor,” said Fletcher.

“Yes sir, I’ll let you know the second he wakes up.”

The doctor walked to a group of computer monitors and the other three made their way to the hallway.

“You two need to eat something.”

“I can’t even thing about eating after all of that. I mean we just discovered an extinct alien race and you think about food?” Alyssa through her hands in the air.

“I’m just saying that you’re going to need your strength if you’re going back down there.”

Alyssa looked at him excitedly, “You’re letting us go back down?”

“Well you were the discoverers, I think you have the right.”

“If you don’t mind sir, I’d like to stay up here. I don’t like the feeling that place gave me.” Tom shuttered.