twenty five; dangerous liaisons

DANGEROUS LIAISONS

Carter felt, for the umpteenth time that week, like a complete idiot.

An idiot for not being able to cry, or scream, or even wish that it had been her who the Nogitsune decided to possess so that Stiles wouldn't be forced to go through that sort of trauma; an idiot for hating herself because she knew that she should've realized it sooner. She couldn't even begin to comprehend that Stiles was the Nogitsune that was known for creating chaos and destruction.

A soft hand was gently placed on her shoulder, but she didn't move. She just remained dormant; barely away of the fact that Melissa was standing over her with a hot cup of tea. "How are you, Carter?" The woman asked, her eyes filled with worry as she inspected the brunette girl.

Carter's warm hands wrapped around the mug, staring down at the slightly brown-opaque substance, "My head is killing me. Isaac's injuries aren't making anything better, either, but, since I'm a Pheanix - my healing is slightly stronger than a werewolf's in a sense, I guess. It doesn't hurt as much as it did when it happened." She lied, looking down at the dark burns on the exposed part of her right arm.

"Do you just want to not go to school today, then?" Melissa asked, watching as the Were-Pheanix slowly took a sip of her tea. "I could call in a say that you were feeling ill and had to make a visit to the hospital."

Carter frowned. "No, I'll be fine. The distraction of school is better than sitting here, waiting for the agonizing pain to return."

Before Melissa could respond, they heard the sound of shoes bounding down the staircase, Scott's figure showing up at the end of the steps. Carter instantly noticed that he was ready to leave for school, which caused her to slowly set down the mug and push herself out of the chair without a word. Scott's irises followed his girlfriend's movements, watching her wince noticeably as she gingerly pulled on her leather jacket, noticing how her entire entity seemed off.

Turning his attention away from his girlfriend and back to his mom, Scott asked: "Any news?"

"They're still looking for him," Melissa replied, glancing over at her son with a soft voice. "It's past the forty-eight hour mark, but I guess if anyone's going to be missing for two days and turn up just fine, it's Stiles."

Scott glanced over at Carter, knowing that she had been just as affected, "What about Isaac?"

Melissa let out a small sigh, standing up from the table before moving over to Scott and crossing her arms over her chest as she looked between her son and Carter. "Maybe we should go by the hospital before school."

Despite him being her best friend, she couldn't bring herself to tell them that Isaac was in more pain than she had led on. All of it was re-flooding through her body any time she moved, any moment she spoke. She just didn't know if either of them could handle any more pain.

​The hospital had looked exactly the same as it did the previous time she was there, but thankfully, Melissa was quick at the task of getting them through the building without them having to think too hard about where they were. Isaac was put on one of the upper levels, ICU, due to the extensive damage the electrocution had caused. And at that moment, Carter could feel that he wasn't getting any better - and she knew it; it doesn't take longer than twenty-four hours for a werewolf to heal. It just didn't happen.

The three of them remained silent, even as the elevator dinged to signal that they had arrived at their appropriate floor. The metal doors slid open, and the first thing the brunette had noticed was a familiar figure that was slouched on one of the benches outside of Isaac's room. Scott reached out, gently shaking her shoulder with his hand. Allison Argent's head lifted, her eyes hazed over with certain slumber.

"Have you been here all night?" Scott asked.

Allison nodded, blinking a few times to try and rid of the haziness that glazed over her eyes. "Yeah, they won't let me see him because I'm not family. I told them he doesn't have any."

Melissa stepped forward, a frown evident on her face and her hospital card in her hand, "Well, he's got us - and I've got a key card."

She unlocked the door for them a few moments later, telling them to be quick about their under-the-table visit, before leaving them alone. Isaac was in the middle of a large room, a half-a-dozen beeping monitors around the bed that he was laying in. The three teens were slow in trying to register everything before they made any moves toward the bed, eyes taking in the amount and severity of the burns on the right side of the werewolf's body.

Before she could even think twice, Carter was reaching for Scott's hand. The True Alpha looked down at it, trying to ignore the extreme warmth that flooded through him at the slightest contact. A sad smile fell on her face for a split second before it vanished, and they were back to slowly moving toward Isaac. And just as they took their first step forward, Carter felt Allison's hand slither its way into her unoccupied one - both of her hands being crushed by two people that meant the entire world to her.

At Isaac's bedside, all of their eyebrows seemed to furrow in confusion at the revelation that Isaac hadn't been healing like he was supposed to be. The huntress turned to look at the two teens, knowing that they had more experience in actually being werewolves. "I thought he'd be healing by now."

"So did I," Scott replied, agreeing with the huntress as he kept his eyes on the burnt boy. His free hand went out, slowly letting it fall on Isaac's burnt forearm. Almost immediately, Scott and Carter's face contorted in surprise, the True Alpha knowing that Carter had been sugar-coating how much pain her and Isaac were actually in.

Allison hadn't picked up on any of it, "Is he in pain?"

Scott nodded his head once, his hand going back on the werewolf's burnt arm, and almost instantly, the veins that were showing on his hand turned black as he began the process of taking as much of the pain from Isaac as physically possible. The curly-haired Beta arched his back at the sudden relief, his heart monitor's beeping slightly picking up its speed before slowly falling back into a steady rhythm.

There had been a slight hiccup in the transfusion of pain; Isaac's pain was all being given to Scott, and Carter was connected to Scott just as much as she was to Isaac. Therefore, it just made things harder and sparked up the fire in her body having to feel the relief from Isaac before suddenly getting it shoved right back into her system with Scott. Allison could only watch with her hand over her mouth as Scott and Carter's faces contorted in pain, inhaling sharply at the spike of agony surging through them.

Scott panted, rubbing the sore spot on his hand. "It won't heal him, but it helps with the pain."

"Did Stiles really do this?" Allison asked, her words coming out in choked attempts to keep herself stable as she glanced between Carter and Scott.

Scott finally peered up from Isaac's injured body to his ex-girlfriend. "Whatever's controlling him did it. Whatever's inside him."

"Well, then how do we get whatever's inside of him the hell out of him?" Allison questioned.

"I'm working on it."