Chapter One

Ella's phone vibrated. She picked it up, read the notification, and then shut her phone completely off. 867 notifications in one hour was too much. She couldn't imagine the number of notifications she'd get by the time she turned her phone back on, which wouldn't be for a while.

She tucked her phone away in a box and shoved it under her bed. She hoped that she wouldn't be tempted to check her phone. Out of sight, out of mind.

Hearing a noise from outside, she stood up and peered out her window. She saw her best friend, Jenny, drive into her driveway in her dark blue car.

Ella ran downstairs and went to the door to see Jenny. She opened the door and was greeted by a frown.

"Tell me what's going on," Jenny growled, inviting herself in and slamming the door behind her.

"Huh?" Ella asked, playing dumb. "You can leave that door open. There's a nice breeze coming in."

"No, I can't. There was a black van with the name Teen Celebrity Insider on the side, following me to your house!" Jenny yelled. "Tell me what's going on, right now!"

Ella figured she couldn't pretend to be clueless for any longer. "Jenny," she started, "it wasn't my fault, I promise." She sighed before continuing. "It all started three days ago when my dad came to visit."

Three days earlier...

Ella's mom came home from work, setting her car keys on the kitchen table. "What would you like for dinner, Ella?" She sounded stressed out.

"How about spaghetti?" Ella suggested.

"Alright," her mom agreed, going to the cupboard to start preparing dinner. "Oh," she stopped walking. "I forgot to tell you. Your father is coming to visit tomorrow."

Ella's eyes widened. "Really?" she asked her mom. She smiled. She hadn't seen her dad since Christmas.

"Yes, he's bringing his new family, too," her mom rolled her eyes. She started to boil water on the stove.

"His new wife and their daughter, right?" Ella asked. She was excited to see her dad, but she was also anxious to meet his new wife and his daughter, who was Ella's age.

"Yes," her mom answered. "She's sixteen, same as you. I think her name is Chloe."

Ella smiled. She hoped that Chloe would like her.

When dinner was ready, Ella and her mom sat down at the kitchen table and ate. Ella buzzed with excitement. Seeing her dad again plus meeting her stepmother and stepsister made her happy. Her mom was not as pleased. She and Ella's dad had gotten a divorce two years ago.

Ella finished her dinner and got ready for bed. She brushed and flossed her teeth, and then combed her long, blonde hair.

"Goodnight," she told her mom. It was the end of June, so school was not in session, but Ella still preferred to go to bed relatively early.

"Goodnight, Ella," her mom said back to her.

Ella went upstairs and got in her bed. Snuggled between her covers, she dreamed of seeing her dad and meeting her new family.

She didn't know what was about to hit her.