Part 5

Part 5

As was tradition, school was let out at noon that Friday in preparation for the ball, which was to occur the next night. Neither Bibi nor Ailia was sad to leave early; none of the students could focus in class due to excitement.

Zaiden caught up to them as they were walking through the parking lot to their cars. He fell into step between them and asked, “So you two going to the ball?”

“But of course.” Ailia said.

Bibi grinned. Her invitation to the ball had arrived just the day before in the mail. It had come in an envelope detailing no return address and included a small note scrawled in that familiar loopy hand that said

I’ll be waiting in anticipation at the bottom of the staircase

Since the invitation’s appearance, it seemed to have hit her that this really was happening. That she really was going to the ball with a masked stranger. The thought both thrilled her and gave her a swoop of nervousness.

“Are you?” Bibi asked Zaiden.

Zaiden smiled secretively and said, “You’ll see me there.”

Then he walked off without another word.

It wasn’t until after he left that Bibi realized she hadn’t asked whether or not Xzavier was going as well.

*

The girls got ready at Bibi’s house the night of the Blizzard’s Ball. It was strange for both of them to wear the dresses and shoes; they seemed too pretty to actually be put on. And of course, everything fit perfectly: both dresses just a touch above their toes, showing the right amount of shoe underneath. 

“I feel like a princess.” Ailia commented, coming out of the bathroom. Her hair was held back with a thick headband, make-up enhancing her glass doll-like blue eyes and heart lips. The dress was tight in the waist, making her hips seem fuller. The glass slippers –which were surprisingly comfortable –shined just underneath the dress’ full skirt.

 “Well, you are going with Prince Charming.” Bibi laughed –everything seemed ten times funnier in anticipation of a wonderful event.

Ailia grinned and walked carefully across Bibi’s bedroom carpet, trying not to trip. Bibi watched her in amusement as she slowly made her way to the door.

“Come on, Gran.” Bibi joked, getting up and holding open the door for Ailia. She offered her the crook of her elbow. “Want me to help you across the street?”

“Oh, stop,” Ailia swatted the hand away and almost fell over, causing both girls to collapse into giggles.

Bibi followed Ailia’s slow progression down the stairs, stopping at a mirror on the way to check her hair. Ailia had pulled half of Bibi’s thick brown locks back with a sturdy barrette, the remaining tresses going almost to her shoulders. Her liquid eyeliner made her eyes pop and the dress accentuated her natural curves. A green broach rested against her collarbone, reminding her of her thoughtful mother, who lent it to her for the night. She smiled at her reflection and turned back to the stairs, setting one delicate-shoed foot in front of the other.

Bibi’s parents were waiting in the foyer, camera clasped tightly in her mother’s hands. The girls posed for pictures in good spirits, wrapping their arms around each other and making silly faces. Then they headed to Ailia’s car, which they would take to get to the town hall, where the Blizzard Ball was held. As Bibi was getting into the passenger seat, she looked back towards her house and could’ve sworn she saw her mother wipe a tear from her eye; Bibi shook her head and got into the car.