Part 2

Part 2

“I still can’t believe you got invited to the Blizzard Ball by a secret admirer.” Bibi said to Ailia as the girls walked down the school hallway on Monday morning.

“Hush,” Ailia ordered gently, casting her eyes around the crowded setting, wary of eavesdroppers. “I don’t want anyone to know about him.”

“Know about who?” Zaiden Ericson asked, coming to stand at Ailia’s elbow. He was much taller than her, with curly brown hair and sparkling brown eyes. He looked down at his petite friend, curiosity written from his narrow nose to his strong brow.

Ailia sighed at being overheard and mumbled, “Nothing.”

“Au contraire.” Zaiden rested his arm on Ailia’s shoulder and spoke with an easy-going finesse. “If it is a ‘him’ we are discussing, I want to be in the conversation. You, Miss Ailia, are a princess and deserve to be treated as such.”

“Here, here,” Agreed Xzavier, coming to stand on Ailia’s other side and mimicking his twin brother’s pose by resting his arm on her shoulder. “You’re a prize. In a box. Locked tight. With a key and possibly some duct tape and maybe even a few-”

Bibi hit him in the back of the head with her hand.

Xzavier cast her a playfully pretend look of distaste and she stuck out her tongue at him. He turned away with a grin.

“Does adorable Ailia have a boy toy?” Zaiden was asking, twisting his head so he could look her in the eye.

Xzavier’s eyebrows shot up to meet his hairline, which was as curly and dark a brown as his brother’s. “What’s this?!” He cried in mock outrage. “Ailia has a boy?”

“Yes,” Bibi ignored Ailia’s glare and continued. “She has a secret admirer who asked her to the Blizzard Ball.” 

Both twins gasped loudly and began peppering her with questions.

“Who is he?”

“Do we know him?”

“Is he good enough for you?”

“Of course he isn’t! No one is!”

“Good point. Who is he? I wanna beat him up.” Xzavier raised his fist threateningly.

“I’ll simply challenge him to a duel of wits!” Zaiden declared gallantly. “And I’ll pummel him with my intelligence!”

“Well, if you were to challenge him in a competition of looks he would surely win,” Xzavier said.

“You do realize that, since we’re identical twins, you just insulted yourself as well.” Zaiden pointed out.

“No, I did not. I’m better looking by far.” Xzavier smiled so brightly it would make a dentist wince.

Bibi rolled her eyes. “You’re both beautiful, now shut up.”

“Why thank you.” The boys said in unison.

It was true; they were blessed with startlingly good looks, although it could have been said that their noses were too big for their faces. But what they lacked in nose beauty they more than made up for in humor: Zaiden joked while Xzavier used sarcasm.

“But seriously,” Zaiden grew sober. “Who is he?”

“I don’t know.” Ailia admitted. “But he keeps sending me letters and he even had a dress and glass slippers delivered.”

“Plus a mask,” Bibi added. “It was gorgeous.”

This was true. The mask was the same startling white as the dress and gloves, with small beads crafted around and into the corners of each eye. It barely covered Ailia’s nose, curving over her cheekbones and tied with a soft silk ribbon in the back.

The brothers had twin looks of incredulity on their faces. It was said that they looked exactly alike, but, in all reality, it was quite easy to tell them apart once you got to know them. Zaiden’s chin was slightly more pointed while Xzavier’s had a rounded tilt. Xzavier’s dark eyebrows dipped down towards his nose, as if he was always in thought; Zaiden’s brow was lifted, almost in surprise or delight.

“Tut-tut-tut.” Zaiden shook his head. “This guy is smooth.”

“As molasses.” Xzavier agreed.

Bibi popped her gum, making Xzavier shudder. “Must you do that?” He asked her.

She smiled through her wad of Exploding Eucalyptus. “Yes.”

Students weren’t even supposed to have gum on school premises, principal’s rule. However, Bibi went a tad wild if she wasn’t chewing some sort of gum, so everyone –including the teachers –overlooked that rule when it came to her.

“Oh, look, the bell rang.” Zaiden commented lightly.

“No it didn’t.” Ailia looked at him as if he were crazy. His arm was still on her shoulder, even though Xzavier had removed his long ago.

The sound of the bell resonated through the noisy halls. Zaiden shot Ailia a smirk and detached his arm; her shoulder felt cold without his body heat.

“See ya,” Xzavier said to the girls.

“Later,” Zaiden echoed.

As seniors, they had different classes than Ailia or Bibi, who were both juniors.

Once the boys were a good way down the hall Bibi spoke. “What do you bet,” She cracked her gum loudly, “that one of them is Prince Charming?”