Chapter XXVIII

Okay, guys, this is it. It is the last chapter of Change My Mind.

I wanted to say a big, huge thank you to every single one of you who has been there and read this, and enjoyed it. It means the world to me that so many of you commented it, and laughed with it, and most importantly, saw themselves in the characters. I couldn't ask for anything else.

Please, enjoy!

Chapter XXVIII: Miles

"Ouch!" What a fantastic way to start off this meeting, fucking prick.

It was not supposed to be this way.

I was supposed to look pretty, he was supposed to open the door without knocking me off my feet. We were supposed to kiss passionately, and all the bad memories were supposed to be forgotten.

But things never go the way they are supposed to.

"I knew you liked sitting on the floor, not lying on it," Zayn said, glaring at me coldly. It was a great start.

"Yeah well, I'm trying to be risky and find new positions" I tried to joke, supporting the upper part of my body with my elbows.

Zayn leaned forward and extended a hand to me, to help me get up from the floor. A sharp pain stabbed me on the side, as I remembered the time I ran into him at the airport. It had happened almost the same way, but the surroundings and situations had changed. Back then, I missed him and I knew we would be okay somehow. Right at that moment, I was sure it would be the ending of everything we ever had.

I had been so stupid.

He looked tired and beated. His hair was messed up, and he was holding his keys and phone. I saw the "Cool kids don't dance" tee adorning his chest, and I froze. I loved that tee.

"Are you busy right now?" I asked, feeling smaller than I already was.

He looked at me with something in his eyes I couldn't put my finger on. Was it... Longing? Anger? Disappointment? Had he even missed me? Had he thought about me at all?

"I was." He stated. He looked so tall. "But you and I need to talk. Come in."

It wasn't an invitation, nor was it a question. I, however, had no intentions of contradicting him. That was what I had gone to his place for. Only I didn't feel so brave anymore. I had hurt my best friend, I had broken the heart of the only boy I had ever loved.

Nodding, I stepped inside, with Zayn following me closely. I could feel his breath tickling my nape as I walked towards the couch, and my heart squeezed as the memoried came back flooding my thoughts. Zayn and I kissing. Zayn and I cuddling. Zayn and I playing FIFA. There was never going to be an "us" again. I had screwed up everything.

Zayn sat beside me, and I sat cross-legged, as I always did, facing him, but not looking straight at him. He felt so far away after I had gotten used to feel him so close.

"Miles-"

"I'm sorry," I blurted out, as soon as he said my name. Was I crying already? "Zayn, I'm so sorry I hurt you. I am sorry I gave up on us, and I am sorry I never saw the chance to be happy with you, and make you happy. I- I love you so much, I do, I never stopped loving you and I don't think I ever will. I'm sorry, I was stupid and afraid to let myself be happy, and I hurt you. I am not good enough for you, you're always surrounded by pretty girls with tigh gaps and then there's me. I will always be a head shorter than you and will never stop tripping over everything. I will never have a tigh gap, I love playing FIFA and COD, and I will never be girly enough for you. You should be with someone who sees how great you are and doesn't fuck up whenever she has a chance, only because she's scared. I had the chance, and I didn't take it. I'm sorry for failing you. I'm so sorry, I love you."

I didn't know how long it took me to say everything I had to say. I wasn't hoping to get him back, I knew I wouldn't. But he needed to know that I wasn't afraid anymore. Even if he rejected me, I wasn't afraid of it, because I knew anything that would happen from then on, would be for the best. I wouldn't fear anymore. I would face whatever it was.

I got up as fast as I could, stumbling with the fucking table beside the couch on my way out. I heard my phone dropping, but I didn't come back for it. Zayn had given it to me, and surely he would want it back. He deserved better.

"Miles," I heard him calling, but I was halfway through the door.

I practically ran towards the stairs, but he was faster. Grabbing my wrist, he made me turn around and glued my back to the wall, standing inches away from me.

"Please keep the phone, Zayn, I-"

"Would you let me talk already?" He said, tired of all my rambling.

"Zayn, please, I want to go, there's no need for this-"

"Miles, please, shut up!" His eyes wouldn't leave mine, and I could feel his scent invading me, making me dizzy. "I love you. Why can't you understand that?" His lips were so close to mine I felt I was having a heart attack. "I love all of you. I love how give all you've got into a Play Station game, I love the way you kiss me. I love how small you seem next to me, because it makes me want to protect you. I love how you wear baggy clothes and look amazing. I love all of you. You are the most beautiful girl I have ever met. I need you, I don't need anyone else. I don't know how to move on without you, Miles. You are a part of me." He looked away, and then fixed his eyes back to mine. "I could never stop loving you, even if I wanted."

My entire body froze as I listened to his words, and they found their way to the deepest part of my heart. The way his eyes looked at me made me feel lost, and everything he said would make me faint from one moment to another. He loved me. Despite everything I had done, he loved me.

"But... But I hurt you," I mumbled, still in shock.

"And I hurt you before, and you came back to me," Zayn smiled, grabbing my chin. "I love you, Miles. I promised you we would overcome any obstacles that got in our way, and I am willing to keep my promise. No more fears against us, no distance between us. No matter what, we will find a way through it all. I am willing to do it. Would you do the same for me?"

He loved me for who I was. With the snapbacks and the baggy clothes, with the food and PS3 addiction, with my annoying squealings when I saw a cute puppy or a slice of pie, with my fears and invisible tigh gap.

I had never believed in love before Zayn. I never thought someone would make me feel that a person was worth of giving everything you have, worth of stepping up to your weaknesses. Butterflies in the stomach were some made up shit from fairytales before the first time Zayn kissed me. He had changed my mind in a way no one ever had.

Before losing him, I was afraid of so many things. But right then, I knewwe could do it. Our love was stronger than my fears. It was stronger than everything.

"Of course I will," I answered, tilting my head back to catch a better look at the guy who took my breath away. "I love you."

"I love you too, Miles," he whispered, bringing his lips to mine.

We were together, and we would be just fine.

This is the end. I am really nervous, and I hope I didn't let you down. Would you guys do something for me? Comment anything you want. Even if it is a "good job" or an emoticon, let it show me what you thought about the story, it would mean a lot to me.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, you have made me so happy!

The last chapter is dedicated to all of you, and I will be writing an epilogue soon.

Once again, thank you so much, for everything. You have made me really happy, and I hope I made you happy as well, that is all I want.