Squad Goals

"What's the verdict?"

"Still clear. Looks pretty normal to me Alexandra."

"1 dont call me that, and 2 keep looking, there's gotta be someone from the agency here."

"I know, and I agree. They're here somewhere." James said.

A long silence followed. Wonder by the kite string tangle blasted through my headphones.

"I don't want to be that person but-." James started.

"Colt you are that person."

"What do you mean by that? I haven't even finished my sentence!" He explained turning around.

"Your annoying." I said simply, turning the page off of my newspaper.

James and I were on clarton street sitting on a park bench. The two benches were back to back. He sat on the side facing down hill, showing the park and kids playground. I was facing the side of the road, showing the parking lot and the main road.

"Coming from you." I felt the seat move, indicating he had turned around.

I grinded my teeth and turned around. I slowly took my sun glasses off and looked at his side profile. Fight the earge to talk back, fight the earge Alex. He wants you to talk back.

"And what is that supposed to mean."

"Alex, your like that stupid tiny leaf on someone's window shield. No matter how hard it rains or how high you put on the windscreen wiper. Your that leaf that just pisses everyone off." He licked his finger and turned the page, giving me a smile.

"Huh, how poetic. You must feel very proud of yourself right now." I said turning around.

"Emensly."

"But anyways if you would you let me finish." He said.

"You have my attention your Lordship..."

From my peripheral vision i could see him tugging on his hair breathing out, trying to keep his cool.

"You may think that we're being subtle and undercover but we're really not..."

"How so?"

"We're sitting on a bench wearing matching sunglasses, which by the way I have no idea how you managed that. But I'm strangely impressed. We're both holding newspapers and wearing black. And all the kids in the playground are looking at us like we want to offer them candy and lure them into our van."

I pulled my sunnies down and turned around looking at him.
"Dont be ridiculous, theres not-"

I turned around towards the playground and sure enough most of kids were looking at us. Except for some stupid two year old trying to eat his sandwich hanging upside down on the monkey bars. Some parents were even walking their kids towards their cars looking at us.

"Sooo, loose the news paper?" Jamed said with a smile knowing he was right.

"Shut up." I put the news paper down and turned around on my bench. Maybe they wouldn't meet us here; maybe they would ambush us, or kidnap us! Nah I feel sorry for anyone who tries to kidnap me. I would not make it easy for them.

"Why is is Adam Coleman walking towards us?"

"Adam who?" I asked tuning around at him.

"Adam whoes in the captain of the basketball team."

Sure enough, 6 foot 3, wearing all black Adam was walking towards us. I had seen him around school, but never interacted with him. He was one of the golden popular boys of the school.