Mother's Day Special

Since I have foreign readers, I wrote everything in English.

This is dedicated to my late mom who passed away last February 15, 2013.

(Terms: Nay – eomma, mom, mama, it’s the same; endearment to a mother.

               Gah –endearment to a wife.)

“Nay, though I’m not quite sure if you have Wi-Fi up there in heaven, I know you’re reading this. I love you; I miss you, and happy mother’s day. I know you’re always by my side, guiding me and loving me unconditionally.”

***

My mom often told me that I was her angel. That if it wasn’t for me, she and my dad might have gotten separated. Doctors said that I was a lucky baby. She had two miscarriages before I was brought to existence.

But sometimes, I blamed myself for being the unlucky one. Months passed after I was born when my mother had symptoms of a yet unknown illness. After another few months, she was diagnosed with SLE (systematic lupus erythematosus) , an incurable disease.

Sometimes, I ask myself…  “SLE is one of the rarest illnesses in the world. One out of a million people in the world suffers SLE. Why did my mom have to be that one?”

First week of November 2012, she was admitted to the hospital. Known to my readers, I have a sharp memory, I still remember her hospital room number Condo-303. She stayed there for more than two weeks for a et another unknown illness. Doctors said that her SLE was at rest so technically, it wasn’t the reason why she got admitted.

Though I was mentally disturbed and exhausted that time, I managed to show no weakness at school.

November 27, 2012, two days before my birthday, she asked her doctor if she could be temporarily discharged. November 29, 2012, my fifteenth birthday, it was my last birthday spent with her.

I didn’t know if she already that she won’t last long but I guessed she sensed her end coming.

November 30, 2012, she gave me a huge budget for a birthday party. I celebrated my birthday twice on that day. In the morning, I celebrated with nine of my closest friends; Jason Gancia, Keith Terne, Jerry Sison, Von Quimsing, JM Barcelona, Krizza Lagos (@kerizzamelliza on wattpad), Frances Bellena, Sherylane Julleza, and Reena Reyes.

When night came, another celebration was held, my mom gave me a birthday that I will always remember.

She rented the biggest KTV room (noraebang) at Smallville21, Smallville complex. She spoilt me that night. She gave me permission to drink with my cousins and admitting that I’m an alcoholic, I really enjoyed it.

If only I knew that was going to be the last birthday to be spent with her I would have glued myself to her side the whole night. That was also the night I had my last family picture, when we were still complete.