Two Months Later

“Baby, have you seen Kyler’s blanket?” Jolene asked at the footsteps coming down the stairs. Lips very gently kissed her neck just under her ear. She smiled and turned to kiss the lips, only to step back very suddenly and drop the bottle in her hand. “Louis!” she whispered angrily, “You are going to get us caught.”

                “Oh so we are an ‘us’ now?” Louis asked smugly, picking up the bottle and washing it in the sink.

                “NO!” she growled, grabbing the bottle from his hands, “I should never have slept with you last weekend. It was a huge mistake. Harry cannot know and it CANNOT happen again. We are supposed to be getting married in a month. I don’t need some jerk ruining that. Kyler will have his father and mother married and happy.” She leaned down and gave her son a kiss on the top of his head, to which he giggled and smiled. Louis walked over to her once again, placing his hand lightly on her hip, pulling her closer.

                “You know, Harry isn’t Kyler’s biological father. Just leave him. I’ll be the kid’s dad,” he pulled her in so their faces were very close, “I’ll love you both more than he ever could, I promise you that. C’mon Jo, let’s just run off and get married.” He leaned in to kiss her, but just as their lips met, they heard Harry coming down.

                “Jolene, love, I found his blanket. Have you got him all packed? We are going to be late if we don’t leave now,” Harry walked in to the kitchen where Louis was now searching for something in the fridge and Jolene seemed spacey. “Are you alright? Darling?” he reached out for her hand. She just shook her head and forced a smile.

                “Yes, it’s nothing, just thinking about marrying you. I cannot wait,” she leaned in and kissed him, keeping her eye on Louis, who was staring back. Harry leaned back and grinned from ear to ear. “Let’s go, hun, so we aren’t late for brunch with your mom and Gemma.” Louis began to walk upstairs, stopping only momentarily to whisper in Jolene’s ear.

                “Just think about it,” he whispered quickly, before pinching her butt and walking away.

                “You and Louis seem to be getting along well lately right?” Jolene asked, turning to meet Harry’s wondering gaze. He nodded and looked puzzled. “It’s just I was worried. Worried I may have ruined the band. I know you were very upset. I just didn’t want to be the reason the band broke up.” Her vision became blurry with tears. Harry pulled her close in the very same way Louis had moments earlier. Her eyes looked up to meet Harry’s and he frowned.

                “Lou and I are friends. Hell, even if you left me for him, we would never stop being friends. He pisses me off so much that I want to punch him sometimes but that is just how we are. Don’t worry love. I just want you to be happy,” he paused to kiss her head, before pulling away, “I love you.” Jolene leaned down to grab Kyler’s car seat. Where was all this coming from? Had he heard Louis asking her to leave him before? Just wants her to be happy? Her mind raced as they loaded the car for brunch. The whole ride seemed silent, even though Harry was loudly singing away as usual. She just stared out the window and let all her thoughts free to roam around her brain. Who was she meant to be with? Harry was a fantastic father and she knew she loved him, but Louis was so great in bed and he had been there when she got hurt. Who? She couldn’t handle the questions any more so she broke the silence, with a weird uncalled-for urgency in her tone.

                “I love you. You know that right? I really do,” she blurted out, startling Harry. Harry laughed and nodded, placing his hand on her knee and squeezing. She breathed a sigh of relief and placed her hand on his, noticing her enormous engagement ring. It hit her again. She was supposed to be getting married in a month and she didn’t even know if she wanted it. A part of her wanted to start her life as Mrs. Styles, but another part wanted Louis to stop the wedding in some theatrical way. She wanted him to grab her and sweep her off her feet and ride off into the sunset, but there was a tiny part of her that wanted something completely different. That tiny part kept wishing that somehow she would’ve died at the hands of her ex or from the hands of those crazed fans. She always looked at Kyler when she got those thoughts, knowing he wouldn’t be here if that had happened, but she couldn’t help but occasionally fantasize about the sweet release at death’s scythe.