A Rat Among Mice

No Rose this time around, but for a veeeery good reason. The title gives you a hint.

***

"Keep going," Pete ordered the men working on the dimension cannon, Mickey and Jake overseeing the technical stuff. When his phone rang, he checked the Caller ID. He sighed, then turned to answer it. "Please tell me this is good news."

"I finally got her to go to sleep," Jackie said, sounding tired herself. "But I swear, she didn't stop crying for hours. I think the crying exhausted her more than the hysterics."

"But she's asleep," Pete nodded, wincing, remembering how hysterical Rose had been after their attempts to break through to the other world. He had been astonished she'd been able to reach the TARDIS, but they hadn't found the Apocalypse at all. He'd had to call in a few security guards to sedate her so they could get her out, and even then, it had taken four sedation attempts for it to work. Normally, even the toughest guard was out with just one.

Rose was dead set on returning to the other world, and she was not going to stop until she was there.

"Yeah, she's asleep," Jackie said. "I'd hoped to take Tony out to look for clothes, but I'll stay here and keep an eye on her. She's barely slept a wink in the time she has been here."

"Same here," Pete looked around. That was also one of his concerns. Several times, Rose stayed overtime, into the night, to work on whatever leads she could. The majority of the time, it ended up with her pulling all-nighters. "She has to be exhausted, Jacks."

"I know she is," Jackie sighed. "Pete, we need to get her back. We've got to."

"I know," Pete told her. "Just keep an eye on her, and if you have to, keep security guards on her the entire time. I don't want to see her back here today."

"Gotcha. I love you."

"I love you, too." Pete hung up and walked over to the men working on the dimension cannon. "I think that's enough for today," he said. "Rose won't be coming back today, and we've done enough. Catch a break, all of you."

The men headed out, but Mickey stayed behind with a few tech people, lingering at his computer. "Mickey?" Jake tilted his head. "Are you coming?"

"Yeah, one mo," Mickey waved him off. "I'm just going to help shut down."

Jake gave him a look, but he finally left. The instant he was gone, Mickey turned to the tech people. "Keep it firing at low intervals," he said. "This needs to be stable."

"She said that every time we fire," one of them began.

"I know what she said," Mickey glared. "But the sooner it stays stable, the sooner this thing will work for good. Understood?"

"Yes, sir," they said reluctantly.

Mickey nodded and left the office in satisfaction. What Rose didn't know wouldn't hurt her.

Little did he know that it would be hurting all universes around them.

***

Get the title now? Mickey Mouse. So, Mickey has the technicians firing even when Rose told them specifically not to.

Caly will not be pleased.

I'm working right now on "The Apocalypse's Daughter!"