The Lion Boy Part 21

Percy POV

The resonant plea for help had stopped now, but the after effect still left me weak. I shakily pulled myself to my feet.

"To answer your question, I simply want a wife, and a form." The sound bounced around the room. One second it was right next to my ear, and the next it echoed from the corner. "Thalia can provide both." My mouth twisted into a snarl as I paced the floor of the cage, much like the lions did when they were anxious.

"Why use her? Why couldn't you have used me instead?" The voice came from my left.

"We never would've been able to take you. Always so cautious. Thalia was powerful, fiery, and had such bitterness tucked away. With Hestia as one of your patrons, you might not have had the negative energy necessary." I thought I felt cold hand on my cheek, and I turned away, focusing my gaze on Rhea. I summoned a ball of white hot flame in my hand, and sent it at the bars, hoping to melt them. Instead, it bounced off, leaving a scorch mark on the ceiling.

"Tut tut. Don't you know a cage made of the pure essence of time would be harder to break than that? It can only be dissolved by another immortal. Somebody who has physically remained unchanged by time." Rhea clenched her jaw. My eyes darted to Thalia.

She was sprawled on the ground, her choppy black hair faded to a dark grey, and her skin deathly pale. It scared me, as her coloring had been normal a few moments ago. The brightness seemed to be draining out of her. Kronos chuckled.

"It's already beginning." Her head tilted back, exposing her neck as her mouth opened in a perfect 'o' shape. A hissing echoed throughout the chamber. Rhea cried out.

"Stop! Stop Kronos, you're hurting her! Stop!" Her hands clutched at the bars of her cage, as she pulled at them desperately. Unfortunately, she was already weak, and Kronos had already revealed only another deity could break the bars. Somebody who had defied time. A form started to take shape in the center of the room, upon a golden pedestal.

"And to think, in a few moments you won't even be bothered. All her rage and bitterness is being transferred to you. Replacing you. And isn't it great, that out of all of the gods, she hates Zeus the most? Soon you'll be without compassion, and therefore my perfect bride. Meanwhile, the rest of her energy will be given to me, or rather, my new form. Children are so full of life, nothing else would have been strong enough to do this!" I growled at him, wishing I had the strength to break the steel bars that had been dropped on the three of us. I reached out futilely to Thalia's bent shape. Her color was being leeched out of her. Her eyes were a milky gray now. Did I know anybody who could do anything? An immortal? Suddenly the prophecy clicked in my head.

"Lady of death shall be redeemed." I muttered. Annabeth's eyes widened with realization.

"Melinoe." She whispered to me. I nodded.

"Melinoe! I need you!" I remembered her telling me if I ever needed help, she would come. I felt a light breeze swirl around the room. Black sand piled itself into a petite figure I was getting to know well. As it finished, cracks that glowed a blinding white spread throughout the shape. It burst suddenly, and the pieces evaporated as they flew off the form. Melinoe stood in the chamber now.

A charcoal grey tunic hung down to her ankles, and as always, her feet bore no shoes. Her hair was in an elaborate updo, and she held a shield in her hands. Her eyes had lost the hazel color that was normally there, and they were a pure pitch black, no white to be found. For the first time since I had first met her, she looked like a goddess.

"Dear grandfather, were you terrorizing my favorite demigod and his friends?" voice seemed to come from everywhere now.

"This is none of your concern Melinoe." What surprised me, was the shaky, uncertain vibe it had to it now. I had a goddess who would back me. He hadn't expected this. Her face remained impassive.