(5)

-5-

"Why am I so nervous?" Nina asked herself out loud.

She continued to stare at herself in the bathroom mirror of the newest Italian restaurant downtown.

Nina knew she shouldn't be nervous hanging out with her husband's best friend, but her mind kept making her nitpick at her appearance. She wondered if he thought she was pretty or not.

She had to remind herself that this wasn't an actual date. They were just grabbing something to eat after a hard day's work. She shook her head and reminded herself that this was all part of her plan to get closer to Tristan and make Nick jealous.

Nina exited the bathroom and walked back to the table that had a white cloth draped across it with a candle centered in the middle. She sat down and felt a tingle erupt within her stomach when he smiled at her.

Tristan's smile faltered when he examined her face. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I'm just ready to eat. I'm starving."

"They should come out with our food any minute now," he said. He took a sip of his iced tea.

"I sure hope so."

At that moment her stomach growled, causing Tristan to chuckle a bit.

"You weren't lying when you said you were starving," he said. He continued to laugh at her expense.

"I can't help it. I only ate a ham sandwich for lunch."

Silence fell amongst them after Tristan tired himself out from laughing. They stared into each other's eyes. Tristan broke his gaze first.

"I'm sorry," he said.

"What are you sorry for?"

"I know it seems like I'm being hard on you. I just want you to do better. You have great potential. Your drawings are amazing."

Nina smiled. "You really think so?"

He nodded. "I do."

Nina's stomach tossed and turned when he gave her another toothy grin.

"I thought you hated me," she said.

"Why would you think that?"

She shrugged. "You're always frowning at me or yelling at me. Seeing you smile...it's different."

He leaned forward, closing the gap between the two of them. "I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Like I said before, I yell because I want you to well. I am your boss after all."

Nina chuckled. "I know. You're kind of scary when you're angry."

He sighed. "So I've been told. I'll try my best not to yell at you the next time you screw up."

"Promise?" she asked.

Tristan crossed his heart. "I promise."

"What happens if you break that promise?"

He gazed at her. "What do you want to happen?"

Nina bit her bottom lip, contemplating his question. She noticed his eyes close in on her mouth and it made her breathing pick up in speed.

"You...you have to go dancing with me."

"You know I hate dancing."

Nina remembered how he didn't dance for the whole evening at her wedding reception.

"Well, make sure you don't yell at me again."

He grinned. "It's a deal."

Tristan held his hand out for her to take. She placed her hands in his and he gently rubbed his thumb against her palm.