Chapter Two- Freedom

“Hey guys, where’d Zayn go?”

I blinked, sleepily looking around for the black-haired cat hybrid. Not finding him in the three-man tangle Niall, Liam and I had gotten ourselves into, I detached myself from the other two and climbed out of the bed.

“I don’t know, but we’d better find him before Louis does.” I replied to Niall’s question. If Zayn was hoping to escape, meeting Louis on the way out wasn’t the best way, and Zayn was already terrified.

Leaving the room, I began searching for Zayn. Unable to find him, I began to panic a little, thinking that he’d run away.

Niall and Liam were searching around the house as well, also trying to avoid Louis who was sitting in the kitchen, talking to Eleanor, his current fling.

Finally, we dared to enter the kitchen, only to find Zayn quietly sitting in the corner, nibbling on a piece of bacon.

“ZAYN!” Niall shouted, racing forward and engulfing him in a hug before he could run off.

Zayn froze in Niall’s arms, his body trembling lightly as his gaze shot to the floor. I turned to Liam, confused.

“It’s his defense mode, to play it safe, therefore he drops his gaze and complies to whatever Niall will ask him to do. It’s not his fault really, it’s the way they trained him.” Liam explained, looking at Niall and Zayn sympathetically.

Niall was quietly whispering in Zayn’s ear, running his hand through Zayn’s hair. Zayn’s trembling slowly went away, but he still wouldn’t look up.

“I’ve done some research on hybrids before.” Liam said from his position on the desk, laptop on his lap as he swiveled the chair around to face us.

Zayn was curled up against Niall, fast asleep with his head on Niall’s stomach while the Irish lad hummed something, continuing to comb through Zayn’s hair, occasionally scratching behind one of his ears.

“And?” I asked, moving from the edge of the bed to sit beside Niall.

“Well, it seems half of what Zayn does isn’t what he can do. Unlike regular humans or whatever animal the hybrid is, it’s like their brains are a mash-up of both, with animal instincts and human ones. While hybrids can function completely on one side of the brain, either shutting down their human or animal side, they can also use both brains at once and basically, they use over twenty percent in brain capacity when they do.”

“So that means…” Niall trailed off, pausing his humming for a moment before beginning it once more.

“Zayn’s little ‘I’m stupid’ act is fake. He may have simply shut down the human half of his brain, but the cat half of his brain is still very much awake and unlike a regular cat, he can process more. So whether or not he’s shut do-”

“Wait, hold up. You’re telling me Zayn can just shut down half of his brain? Like flicking off a light switch?” Niall asked, astonished. I kept quiet, simply taking it all in.

“Well, yes and no. When a hybrid shuts down the human or animal part of their brain, it’s like that part of him or her is going into hibernation. And as for how it happens, no one really knows. If Zayn has shut down part of his brain then he would’ve done it in private. Scientists have tried to follow them when they sneak away, but it’s like a female giving birth, they like quiet and privacy, alone and away from everyone else. Then they return, but they only act like that part of their brain.”

I glanced down at Zayn’s sleeping form. “I think he’s shut down his human part. While he acts human, he responds more cat-like, if anything.” I analyzed, looking back up at Liam.