Epilogue

And so we come to the end of another story :( I've had great fun writing this story and I hope you all join me for Becoming Jane.

Her secret will be revealed in the FIRST chapter! And with any luck that chapter will be up tomorrow :)

And I have picked a winner for my little guessing competition - some of you were way off and some of you were close. None of you were dead on, but I've picked someone :)

So anyways, enjoy!

----

Epilogue

Sabine rubbed her hands over the flickering flames as they danced over the logs in the fireplace. Winter was coming quickly and the snow had started to stick to the ground as November came to a close.

In a week’s time they would be departing for Yorkshire, and it would be Connor’s first Christmas spent with her family. They would leave earlier than the rest of her family, and travel up to Scotland to spend the rest of winter with his family. Sabine didn’t know how well they’d travel though, if the snow was already becoming hazardous. Nevertheless, she enjoyed the hope that they would be able to see both families in the short space of time.

They’d made their home their own in the short time that they had been living there. Her father had seen to it that the necessary renovations were done swiftly after the wedding.

The wedding had been beautiful. Connor had dressed in a traditional Scottish wedding suit, something that was entirely different to anything she’d seen an Englishman wear before. She too wore a sash or McKenzie plaid across her white wedding gown. Deirdre had told her the night before the wedding that in Scotland, the wedding ring was a symbol for eternal love.

“A circle,” she had said simple. “With no beginning an’ no end, your love will never end.”

She had never felt more sure of anything when she they had exchanged vows, watching the sincerity of his brown eyes when he spoke.

It saddened her when it came time for everyone to return home, but it meant it was time for her new life to begin … and another’s apparently. Munro had taken her advice. She didn’t know the intimate details, but Munro had somehow charmed Heather into a very euphoric mood for the rest of their trip.   

Sabine enjoyed the independence and freedom of running her own household. Most of all, she enjoyed being styled as Lady Sabine McKenzie, as Connor was ‘Sir’, and spending time with him outside day in and day out, helping him train their horses. Connor had constructed a type off barrier that would drop when the horses were to start racing that she thought was very clever.

Word had spread about the new sport that Connor was so heavily invested in. He planned to begin racing come springtime and he’d already had several wealthy men and women board their own horses with them with the hopes that they would win races and amass a small fortune. Not only was Connor brilliant with horses, but he was an incredible entrepreneur. He and Sabine together had developed training regimes to help enhance speed and stamina. Puissant was the exception, she was already a perfect specimen. Connor desperately wanted to foal her, but Sabine didn’t want her mare in pain. She was older now, and Sabine wanted Puissant to be comfortable for her remaining years.

In the meantime, they’d had two months of completely uninterrupted time being husband and wife. That was a change she entirely loved.

“Two months,” she gasped to herself, filled with sudden realisation. Standing up from the fireplace, Sabine tightened her wrap around her shoulders and crossed the drawing room to the window. Looking out the window, the rate of her heart getting faster and faster. She could see Connor outside, wearing only his undone white shirt and a simple of slacks, coaxing a stubborn colt around the riding ring. “It can’t be,” she whispered, looking down to her flat stomach. Resting a hand there, she imagine a little baby growing in there. A wide smile spread across her face.