Chapter 1

Hey everyone!

So this story picks up the September after Kitty's wedding once Sabine has gone home from her season :)

I hope you like it!

Vote and comment - let me know!

Dedicated to stuffhappens because she just finished her exams today and I'm sure she aced them like the smart cookie she is :D

----

Chapter One

Sabine sighed as she arrived home after her third season in London. It was always humiliating being the boring debutante in London, but it was ever more humiliating returning home with absolutely no offers and having the old ladies in town look at her as if she had leprosy.

She was fine with being unmarried, it was society that was the problem. She would be turning three and twenty in a matter of months and would start to be considered a spinster.

The ivy covered white house at Southerby came into view as the carriage entered the gates of her family home. She was glad to be back with her family, in a familiar place, and of course with Puissant.

She couldn’t wait to get back to her normal routine – riding each day with her mama and tending to the horses. As that thought crossed her mind, she remembered the new Scottish stable hand that had been hired a few months back. She felt sorry for him that he’d have to receive his notice, but she was home now and completely unmarried, so there was nothing stopping her from taking over his job.

The carriage stopped outside the front door which opened on cue. Mr Martin came out with a huge smile on his face. He personally helped her down from the carriage. “Good to have you home, Lady Sabine,” he said sincerely.

Sabine beamed at the old butler. “Thank you, Mr Martin, it’s good to be home. If you could have my things brought inside, I’m just going to go and see Puissant,” she smiled.

“Naturally,” he nodded. Sabine knew the staff were aware of the fact that she got along with horses better than she got along with people.  

Sabine walked around the outside of the beautiful Southerby manor house and down the hill of the estate. The stables came into view after a while and she was excited when she saw the chestnut coloured face of Puissant hanging out of her stall.

Lifting up her skirts, Sabine began walking as quickly as she could down to the stables. The damp grass dirtied the hem at the back of her sensible dress but she didn’t care. Pulling out the large wooden doors, she walked up the aisle and headed directly to Puissant’s stall.

Her beautifully bronze mare whinnied when she saw her owner. It had been too long since Sabine had been with her friend. Puissant was a pure beauty. Her name fit her perfectly. She was truly a ‘mighty’ horse. Never had one seen a horse with stronger legs then Puissant. Her shiny coat showed off every single muscle that made her one of the fastest horses she’d ever seen.

“Hello, my lovely,” Sabine cooed as she entered the stall. As she stroked her long face, she noticed how the straw on the ground was fresh and the feed and water pails were full and clean. However they were on the opposite wall to where she had left them. Looking around Puissant’s large stall she noticed several changes to the layout. Her blanket and saddle were no longer hanging over the edge of the stall, and were nowhere to be seen. Her tack wasn’t on the hook and brushes weren’t on the small shelves. “The stable hand,” Sabine concluded in a growl. If there was one thing she didn’t like, it was people disturbing her system. “Right,” she huffed. “Time to correct this.” She kissed Puissant’s nose and made sure her stall door was latched before leaving.