Chapter Six

1798

I find Charlotte's brother, Daniel, leaning up against the bar cradling a tumbler filled with a dark amber liquid in his hand. His chestnut hair is as rumpled and sloppy as the suit he wears, and it makes me smile. Finally, someone of the male species who doesn't see me as a total buffoon!

Daniel grins when he spots me approaching and takes my hand, pulling me towards him.

"Why, Miss Blackwell, aren't you a sight for sore eyes?" His words have a sluggish slur to them as he rests his elbows on the bar behind him and leans back. "Are you having a grand time?" he asks, rolling his eyes before taking a long sip of his drink.

"Honestly?" I break out into a mischievous smile. "Not really."

Daniel cackles loudly, causing some other guests to stop their conversations and stare at us for a moment before going back to their politics and gossip.

"That's what I love about you, Ellie." He swirls what's left of his drink around in his glass and lifts his eyebrows. "You're always honest."

After taking another sip, he puts his glass down on the bar, and turns to me. "Charlotte told me about your... eh, situation."

I frown. Of course, she did, even though I'd been clear about not involving him in any of this.

Daniel straightens up, and takes my hand again, tugging me towards the dance floor. "Come. Dance with me."

It's more of a command than a request, but it's Daniel, so I allow him to navigate me through the other couples and we begin to dance.

You'd think someone so tall and lanky with that much liquor in them wouldn't have much grace, but Daniel glides me around with an elegant ease. He's quiet, lost in his own thoughts as always, so I don't disturb him as we move to the music. Frankly I don't mind the absence of conversation, especially since there's been so much noise in my head all day.

As Daniel slowly spins me around, he gazes down at me, his eyes softening. "Ellie, your father... He's never been the kind of father you—or anyone for that matter—deserves."

My emotions swell, but I manage to pull myself together enough to shake my head. "I don't have it too bad. I mean, I'm pretty lucky when you think about it. I have you and Charlotte in my life. I consider that a blessing."

"But you deserve so much more. Sometimes I don't think you realize how strong you are." His voice is full of admiration as he pulls me flush up against his body. "I'm a fighter too," he whispers. "And I've decided to help you."

The liquor is heavy on his breath, and I determine that he must be drunk. There is no other explanation for this nonsense.

"Daniel, that's not—"

He doesn't let me finish. Twirling me again, a little more carelessly this time, he causes me to trip over my own feet and stumble forward. A set of hands grab onto me, preventing my fall, and there is a moment of awkward confusion as I'm steadied back up onto my feet.

"Thank you" I breathe, glancing up at my rescuer, but I'm overcome with horror to find myself staring into Levi Harrington's amused gray eyes.

"Well, well, it appears I'm drawn to you at the most unfortunate times, Miss Blackwell." He pulls his entertained gaze away from me and extends his hand to Daniel, introducing himself.

Daniel seems to warm considerably as he shakes his hand. "Mr. Harrington, it's good to put a face to the name. I'm Daniel Aberson."

Levi's own face lights with recognition. "Well, Mr. Aberson, it looks like I have you and your family to thank for this wonderful introduction to town." He gestures around the room, but Daniel shakes his head, batting the compliment away.