Prologue

October 10, 1997

I don't know anyone who remembers their birth, those first few moments when you enter the world, but I remember mine. It comes in disjointed flashes, mostly at night when I'm sleeping, but the images are too intense to be dreams.

Most often, I recall the sensation of being pulled from my mother, and how I screamed in shock as the brightness of the world blinded me, and the cold air stung at my flesh. Other times I remember being placed on a panting chest as a sweet, citrusy scent overcame me. It felt familiar, and I curled my tiny body up in an effort to get closer. Instinctively, I knew it was her: my mother, and I blinked up as she placed a hand over my small body, and held me against her breast. Her ragged breath tickled the fine wisps of hair on the top of my head while she tried to calm herself after labor. She whispered something to me, over and over again, lifting her hand, and delicately tracing my profile from forehead to chin. I couldn't understand the words, but it didn't matter. Her voice danced above me like a soothing lullaby, and I yawned in response.

I remember being swaddled in a scratchy blanket, and how a pair of rough, unfamiliar hands scooped me up, and placed into another set of arms. But the scent was all wrong this time—heavy with perfume, floral and pungent. Something wasn't right, and I started to cry, fussing to break free, but there was nothing I could do. I was helpless.

Each memory I have is so vivid. Sometimes it's like I can still smell the fruity scent around me even after I wake-up.

Believe me, I know how crazy it all sounds, but the visions alone aren't the remarkable part. The truth is, they're not the only reason I'm remembering the details from my birth. I'd be a fool to suggest they were.

The real reason is because, unlike everyone else, I've made this journey, not one time, but seven.

Yeah, I know what you must be thinking, and it's certainly understandable. After all, I didn't believe in reincarnation the first time around either.

CHECK OUT THE BOOK'S TRAILER BELOW: