Wrong

"...And then I realized that I've been in love with the wrong brother all these years!" Kriya says as we sit in our classroom during lunch. We've decided not to step into the cafeteria since both Trisha and Nitin are absent and Kriya wants to avoid her old friends as much as possible.

She's rambling about how perfect Sahil is and how they spent the entire night just getting to know each other. I manage to put in some enthusiastic nods and sighs during the right parts of the conversation since I'm barely listening to her. I have a bigger worry that has settled itself in my mind.

I haven't seen Dylan since last night. And I know that I'm being paranoid, but he hasn't even called or texted. Moreover, I have this strange feeling somewhere in between my bones (yes, I know, my feelings arise from my bones. It's weird) that something isn't right.

I've tried to call him a million times but he just won't answer.

"Akira?" Kriya calls. I snap out of my reverie to look at her.

"Huh?" I mumble.

"What's wrong?" She asks.

"Nothing." I answer instinctively.

"Tell me."

"No, I swear, it's nothing." She has her own worries, she doesn't need mine.

At that moment, Nick walks into the room. He's wearing a light grey t-shirt and blue jeans. I know that he's been avoiding me all morning by skipping classes and I also know that he's trying to cover his face with the hoodie due to the swollen cheek Dylan gifted him last night. I don't even bother looking at him as he takes his seat by Kriya.

I can see that Kriya has turned a deep shade of red and even I don't feel as comfortable being in the same room as him. I recall the events of last night and my blood boils over. And to think that he hasn't even apologized for what he did!

I shoot up to my feet and Kriya takes the cue within no time. We leave the class without so much as a glance at him. When we reach the main hallway, my phone buzzes in my pocket and I'm utterly relieved to see that it's Dylan.

I quickly answer the call. "Dylan?" I sigh into the phone.

But there's no answer. All I can hear is a gentle gushing sound, the kind that you hear when you hold a conch shell to your ear.

"Dylan? Are you all right?" I question, my concern mounting by the passing seconds.

Still nothing. And then the call gets disconnected.

"Is he okay?" Kriya asks me and I look at her.

"I don't know." I whisper, my breathing now heavy and unsteady.

Is he okay? Is he hurt? Can anything hurt him? I don't know and it scares me beyond belief.

"Kriya, I think I'll have to leave. I should go find out if everything's all right." I inform her and she nods.

"Take care." She says worriedly and I manage to muster a small smile.

I rush to the classroom and grab my bag from my seat. I turn around and am about to leave when someone gets hold of my arm. I look up to find Nick gazing down at me.

"Akira, I'm..." He begins but I have no time for this.

"Let go of me, Nick." I warn. "Don't make me say it again."

He looks at me with an unfathomable feeling in his eyes and opens his mouth to say something. And then he thinks better of it and grudgingly lets go of me.

I stomp away and reach Dylan's place within no time. I except to find his Mustang parked in front of his house but it isn't there. I push open the door and it creaks as it moves on its hinges. The living room is completely isolated and the hushed surroundings somewhat creep me out. And then I realize that I'm being stupid. I mean, I am entering a house filled with ghosts. What else am I supposed to feel?