Prologue

623 BCE

Ancient Greece

The cries of a baby girl travelled through the paved streets of Athens. They shook the mighty foundations of the Parthenon. Isidora and Kallistos, two very ordinary Athenians, were disagreeing on what to name their daughter.

"Let us call her Charis, for she looks like she will become kind and graceful." Isidora suggested, though she was weak from the birthing.

"I hope that she will grow beyond kind and graceful. I wish for her destiny to be great. I believe that she merits an honourable name." Kallistos replied.

"The gods would bring their wrath upon us all, if we dared name our daughter after a goddess, and claim for her to do great deeds."

Kallistos seemed deep in thought. He did not want for his daughter to threaten the gods, as they would surely punish her.

"Ambrosia. Food of the gods." Isidora suggested.

"It implies that she could be great, yet would still be under the control of the gods. Yes, I think it is a marvellous name."

And so it was that Ambrosia became Ambrosia, one, her parents hoped, that would be destined for greatness. Being mere peasants made them feel the need to give their daughter more opportunities than she would have living in a poor village. Little did Isidora and Kallistos know that their daughter might just live up to her name.