The Legacy - Part 4

Seventeen

The tears in Jessica's eyes mirror mine as we stand in the spacious dressing room of the church, gazing at my reflection in the large mirror. My beaded white gown is beautiful and I feel radiant.

"I think you are without a doubt the most beautiful bride I have ever seen."

"Thank you." Fingering the lovely strand of pearls Jessica gave me yesterday, I continue to examine my reflection, and for the first time in my life, I really do feel beautiful.

"I can't believe I'm about to be married."

"Believe it," Jessica says, wiping a tear away. "Oh, just look at me, starting with the waterworks already."

I chuckle, wiping my own cheek. "I'm so glad you're here with me. I can't think of anyone else I would rather have standing in my mother's place."

Jessica's smile fades slightly. She pulls an envelope from her pocket, holding it out to me. "This came for you yesterday."

Taking the envelope, I read the front, raising my eyes in surprise. "It's from my cousin, Velma."

"I would have given it to you yesterday, but for some reason it slipped my mind until this morning. Maybe you were supposed to have it today."

I open it. Along with the letter from Velma is a smaller envelope addressed to me. Stunned, I look up at Jessica. "It's from my mother."

"Would you like me to leave and let you read it in private?"

"No, please stay."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. You are my family and I want to share this with you." I can't believe I am actually holding a letter from my mother. I gaze at her handwriting on the front of the envelope. Mama always had beautiful handwriting. First, I read the letter from Velma.

Dear Cisely,

I just wanted to say how sorry I am for the way things were when you came back. Our family could never win a prize for niceness, but they were just plain cruel to you and I am truly sorry for that.

I admire you very much for the way you have changed your life. You are such a good person and I am trying to be just as brave. After you left, I made the decision to move out. I have been sharing an apartment for the past few weeks with two other roommates. It feels so good to be on my own.

Thank you for setting the example for me to follow. Enclosed is a letter from your mother. I found it while I was helping Mama clean out her apartment and thought you should have it. I guess she never got the chance to mail it.

Thank you again for the example you have set. Maybe one day I too, might finally get away from this place. I will write you again soon. Take care.

Velma

Blinking tears onto my cheeks, I refold the letter.  How amazing is that? It's hard to believe I have actually been a good example for someone, especially someone in my own family. My heart swells with joy at the thought of my cousin finally breaking free and choosing a new course for her life. I will keep in touch with her from now on.

"I've always known you were pretty special," Jessica says.

"That's because you are completely biased."

"Of course I am, but it's still true."

Refolding the letter, I take a deep breath and open the one from my mother, and struggle to contain my emotions as I read her final words to me.