The Legacy - Part 10

Thirty-eight

I am going to miss you so much," Jessica says as she tearfully hugs me, then Adagio.

"I'm going to miss you, too. Thank you for everything."

"Thank you for letting me be a part of your life. Never forget you have a home here, both of you. After all, when I'm gone the house will still be yours."

"I love you, Mama," I whisper.

With that one spoken phrase, a river of tears trail down Jessica's face. "And I love you, my daughter." She hugs me again for a long moment, then kisses little Ingo goodbye.

"Take care of her," she says emotionally to Adagio.

He hugs her again. "I will. I promise."

I wave at Jessica as we pass through the security gate and head up the escalator to our terminal. When we finally board and are settled in our seats, a mental picture of Jessica again living alone in that large house causes my heart to ache. With Ingo and I there, she'd finally had the family she always wanted, but Ingo is gone now and I am leaving to start a new life. Turning my face toward the window, I try to discreetly wipe away my tears, but Adagio sees them. I can't hide anything from him.

"It will be all right, baby," he says softly. I know he understands how hard this is for me.

"I know." I squeeze his hand. "I'll be okay." Drying my tears, I smile. "I'll be okay because I am going home with my husband and little boy today."

Smiling, he lifts my hand to his lips. "And I am taking my wife and son home. I could not be happier."

Tilting my head against the seat slightly, I silently look into his eyes for a moment, my thoughts turning melancholy. "I'll bet you never guessed on your way here you would be bringing a wife and child home, did you?"

Holding my hand between his, he brushes his thumb across the back of it, meeting my unwavering gaze. "It was an unexpected blessing."

"It was for me too."

We continue to stare at one another, silently conveying our thoughts. The changes in our lives have taken us both by surprise and sometimes it is still hard to believe all that has happened. Ingo will always have a place in my heart, and though I harbor moments of unspoken confusion, I can't deny how right my love for Adagio feels. I know everything is as it should be. Moving forward, our lips meet in a warm kiss, a kiss born of sweetness and dreams for the future.

During the times of the trip when we are awake and Ingo is settled, I spend a little time studying a book on Italian, and with Adagio's help, I pick up quite a bit. I am grateful for the words and phrases he has taught me over the past months, but I had no idea I would really come to need the language one day.

It's true what they say.Life is full of surprises.

 * * * 

I am awestruck as we turn onto the cobblestone driveway and pull up in front of the large villa.

It is absolutely breathtaking! The building is covered with peach-colored stucco and trimmed in white. The main entrance boasts two white columns with a large potted plant in front of each. Some of the window terraces are lined with beautiful flower boxes and the landscaping is amazing. The right wing of the home is St. John's Place. The left wing and main part of the building are the living quarters.

"Welcome home, amore," Adagio says as we get out of the taxi. The driver unloads our luggage and Adagio pays him.

I give him a look of astonishment. "This is incredible!" It's like at a scene from a European travel show.