Broken Beyond Repair: Revisited

"What are you doing here?" Sue asked, surprised as she saw Alex entering the shop. It was already past eight and she was in the middle of doing the actual count of the items in the selling area and other activities of the branch as they were closing down for the day. She was busy. Going behind the counter, she gave the notebook to her CRP and instructed her to resume what she was doing. Sue began tabulating the day's sales.

"I was texting and calling you the whole day. The whole week actually! Why aren't you answering any of them?" Alex said, irritated by the lack of enthusiasm on Sue's voice and actions.

"As you can see Alex, I'm busy. And I've been working on our deadline before our delivery tomorrow. So I'm sorry if I got no time to entertain you." she replied coldly, not meeting his eyes, and began encoding on their computer.

But Alex was getting annoyed by the cold treatment Sue was giving him. Last week, they were okay. When he dropped her off in her house last Saturday, all was well between them. He only got the chance to visit her today because he had been in Magalang for a week of medical mission that his group had organized. He was itching to come home because he can't wait to finally coax out of her the answers he needed to hear. Why is she acting like this?

He let out a heavy sigh and put his hands on top of her desk. "So what's the problem?"

"Please Alex, pwede wag mo akong gulohin?" she sighed. "I'm working here."

"Fine!" he finally said. Alex turned around and headed for the door. "I'll wait for you outside." It'll be 15 excruciating minutes before he'll have her full attention.

After securing that everything was switched off and the locks were in place, Sue said her goodbyes to their guard and CRPs and went ahead of them. She strutted towards Alex who was sitting on one of the benches inside the mall. She sat beside him and put her hand on her face, exhausted from the day's busy schedule. Alex put an arm around her and pulled her on his chest.

"I've missed you." he whispered and kissed the top of her head. Sue, in return, hugged him on his side tightly.

"I've missed you too." she answered quietly.

"You're tired. Let's get you home." he said and stood up. Sue did the same and they walked out of the building. 

When Alex opened the car, Sue found a bouquet of Carnation and Tulips. A sad smile appeared on her face. She took the bouquet and climbed inside the car and said nothing.

He got into the driver's seat and glanced at her. "What are you thinking?"

"How tired I am?" she answered and leaned back. She closed her eyes and Alex touched her face softly.

"Alright, sleep while we're on the road. Anything you want to eat?" he asked sweetly.

"Ice cream. Coffee crumble." Sue replied, her eyes still closed.

"No coffee tonight, honey." Alex said firmly.

"Fine!" she gave in and pouted. "Double Dutch!"

Alex chuckled and leaned on her to kiss her forehead. Sue let out a sigh and Alex started the car. Sue succumbed to sleep and when she opened her eyes, she's already lying on her bed.

"Alex?" she called out. No one answered and she went outside her bedroom. She found him on her kitchen preparing something. "Why didn't you wake me up?"

"You're too tired. Want to eat?" He answered while opening a can of tuna.

"No. I just want my ice cream." she said and sat on one of the chairs.

"Just what I've thought!" Alex said, shaking his head. Then he went to the fridge and fished the ice cream can out of it. "I think you should still eat rice, you know."

"Alex, I don't have energy to fight with you." She said weakly as she snatched the can from Alex's hand and opened it. He handed her a spoon and she gladly took it and scooped a spoonful of her favorite ice cream.

They ate in silence. Alex couldn't bring up what he wanted to talk about. He could see how exhausted Sue is and for the life of him, instead of getting mad at her, he just couldn't. All he wants to do right now is take care of her.

Once they've finished eating, Sue mumbled something about 'bathroom' and headed towards her room while Alex cleaned up. After washing the dishes, he went straight to the living room and looked at the photos of Sue and her parents perched up in one of the side tables placed near the wall.

"I miss them." Sue said, unexpectedly that Alex was caught off guard. Alex placed the photo frame down and walked towards her.

"I know." he said quietly.

"I'm sorry."

"For what?" then he pulled her close to him as they sat on one of the sofas. Sue nuzzled on his neck and put her left leg across his lap before answering.

"For ignoring you." she said quietly.

"And why did you do that?" he asked gently, rubbing her back.

"It gets frightening, you know."

Alex looked at her face, "What is?"

"This. You. The feelings you're making me feel. Your presence." she said while looking into his eyes. "You. All of you." 

"Why? What's so frightening about that?"

"Alex, you've drifted away from me once when we were teenagers. I don't want to experience that all over again once you've become undecided again." Sue answered, sitting up straight. "About me. About your feelings."

"And who told you I'll be gone again?"

"Tell me, will you be?"

"I am not going anywhere again, okay?" He sighed, looking straight into her eyes, their face just inches apart.

"Promise?" Alex nodded.

And then their lips met in a sweet tender kiss under the ambient light and in the presence of her parents' memories.

"I'll be here always and forever." He said, cupping her face. 

*This moment happened before Alex and Sue became an official item (NLEX-DQ scene)*

AN: Segue-segue din pag may time. Hehe. I've missed them kasi eh. (;

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it