Chapter 6

Chapter 6 – Check

               Alex suddenly appears in the air and falls to the floor feet first. Unfortunately, the floor has a slope, so she loses her balance and hits the floor face first. She rubs her temples and her forehead with one hand, partially covering her eyes. What a crappy elevator…hmm? There’s a rattling noise as she moved. She also has a sudden cold feeling on one of her wrists. Alex looks to be sure and sees a shackle locked around her left hand. Her eyes follow the trail of the chain, which is surprisingly long but most of it is coiled into a pile, and on the other end is an unconscious Damian, leaning against a wall. Alex makes her way to Damian and shakes him, in an attempt to wake him up, but there is no reaction.

              She looks around the room. The room is fairly large; there are two twin-sized beds at one side of the room, a long but short dresser across the beds, with a small television set and a remote on top. There are no doors or windows in the room, just several dozen vents along the top of the walls and the ceiling that are about the size of a CD.

               After some deep sighs, Alex decides to make the best of the situation she is in. She goes up to and tries to use the TV, but there is nothing but static or one color screens. She turns the TV off and goes back to Damian to sit next to him until he wakes up.

              A little bit over half an hour passed and Damian is still unconscious. Alex lost her patience five minutes ago and straddles Damian. Alex was about to lean in for the kiss, but water suddenly started coming out of the air vents at high speeds, especially from the ones directly above her.

              As it turns out, the whole thing was just a dream, Alex is actually the unconscious one and Damian is letting her use his leg as a head rest. The two of them are in the 1st floor Clinic of Power Outage, on an empty bench, since there is barely anyone there other than the staff and a few people with food poisoning.

              Damian starts petting Alex after being sure no one he knew was around. Alex made a slight movement, and Damian immediately stopped what he was doing. Alex starts moving her hands around, trying to feel for something. Feeling awkward, Damian doesn’t pull away or anything. One of Alex’s hand eventually makes its way to Damian’s face. She puts that hand behind Damian’s neck and pulls him in close to her face. Alex’s free hand reaches over to the back of Damian’s head and pulls him over even closer, to the point that their noses barely touched. Now, Damian is really freaking out, trying to push away and shakes Alex to wake her, but nothing worked. How strong is she!?!? The real problem was that the clinic was equipped with Power-Suppression Emitters, and without his powers, Damian is fairly weak. Alex lands the final blow when she leans in to kiss him. Damian’s eyes are wide with surprise at first, but start to close. This feeling… it’s nice… wait… is that her… tongue!?!? When he was just about to pass out from lack of air, Damian manages to pull back, but hits his head against the wall and loses consciousness anyway.

                 Ten minutes later, Alex finally comes to and opens her eyes to the unconscious Damian. Do I actually have precognition? Where am I anyway? After a quick observation, she figures she is in the Clinic. Ah, my head hurts… Alex then sits upright and turns to lightly slap Damian repeatedly. Damian eventually wakes up with a mild headache. “Anything happen while I was out and a bit before that?” asked Alex.

                 Hesitant, Damian answered, “Well, the elevator teleported us to the fourth floor of the building, but the elevator malfunctioned. So we were teleported around 20 feet above the ground---“

                 Alex cuts him off, “The room was that big!?!?”

                 “Yes, anyway, as we fell, Allen had a perfect landing. Marvin did this move where he shot lightning out of his eyes to slow his fall to almost nothing. I was about to grab you too, but Carol caught me in her bird form, before I could get a good grip.”

                 “That explains a lot,” I bet that b**** did that on purpose, “But how exactly did both of us end up sleeping here?”

                 “Oh, umm… I carried you here after you lost consciousness and then… I fell asleep since we’ve been here for about three hours.”

                 Alex pulls out her Talk-to-the-Hand (it doubles as a pocket watch) to check the time, “Whoa! Nine already !?!? Crap… missed the train…”

                 “Yeah, your brother said the same thing… I’d offer a ride, but I forgot to turn on the solar panels to the car…”

                 “So where’s everyone right now?”

                 “They’re going to the hotel upstairs to get rooms.”

                 “How rich is the guy that owns this?”

                 “James never was stingy when it came to business…”

                 “You know him?”

                 “Only because he dated my sister a couple years ago.”

                 “Why’d they break-up?”

                 “Well---“ Before Damian could start, Allen and Carol come into the clinic, strapped to gurneys, with no apparent serious injuries because of the vacuum mattress blocking covering them.

                 As they passed Damian and Alex, Carol and Allen both yell, “Don’t let that idiot decide on the room arrangements!”

                 Damian makes gives a confused look, “What just happened?”

                 Alex, also confused but more aware, states, “Let’s just go find Marvin, he’ll probably explain things…”

                 They get up and leave, Damian looking back occasionally concerned about what led to their pets’ injuries.