Prologue

• Dedicated to Kris Liditch

The place where I am held is sort of like a small Hunger Games Arena. I have been in the forest "arena" for at least three weeks now. I miss the actual sun. The sun here is artificial. President Snow never told me why he took me away from District Four and kept me here in the Capitol. At least I escaped my older brother, Danny.

My name is Kris. I am thirteen and I KNOW I am being picked for the Seventy-eighth Annual Hunger Games. I don't know why. But I know that I am. I hold no weapon. But I know my best friends William, Scarlet, and Skyler do. Skyler and Scarlet both do Archery. William throws knives and such. They are lucky to have talented lives unlike me. I don't do anything. All I do is sit at home all day or sit by the oceans side with the three people that are my friends.

Starting tomorrow, the day of the Reaping, there will be four people picked for the Hunger Games. Again, I am one of the four for my District. The only thing I am hoping is that none of my friends get picked. I didn't mention this before, but Scarlet and William can't talk. They are siblings and they mean the world to me. I treat them like my younger siblings because they are younger than me. Skyler though. I just treat her like all best friends treat each other. She is the best friend you could ever wish for. And so are Scarlet and William. 

I just hope they don't get chosen...