How to Spot an OFC

So how do you know when you encounter an OFC? Here are a few signs you are likely in the presence of a genuine Old Folks Club:

1. The group you're considering consists of five or more people. Four people could easily be mistaken for a common business meeting or double date (in the rare case a couple of females are in the group); whereas, the fifth wheel is likely the best sign you're in the presence of a bonafide OFC.

2. The conversation is about as random as you can get (see again the list of potential topics at the beginning of this discussion).

3. You're going about your day as usual, trying to get some work done while eating breakfast or sipping coffee at your local fast food restaurant (the principal habitat of OFCs everywhere, as you may have realized by now), when you notice your ear constantly being pulled in the direction of a group of men (again, most likely) and their odd conversations. These conditions are perfect for encountering a real-live OFC in their natural habitat.

4. Important: If most of the group has moved on and others have joined in their place, as long as one original member of the group remains you're still in the presence of the same OFC. However, once an entirely new group forms, this is a completely different OFC and is likely to be a waste of time since, as mentioned in the first Author's Note above, by this time breakfast hours are nearly over and all the great topics of conversation have left with the original group.

***

More to come soon, so please be sure to vote, comment, and share with others if you enjoy it so far!

Also, if you like this work, please consider viewing my other pieces over at http://www.wattpad.com/CireWordsmith (external link) or checking out my blog at http://www.ericbeaty.com.