Prologue

Many years ago, there was a great and powerful king named Ahadi. He had a larger stature differentiated from most lions, with bulky shoulders. Every muscle was visible beneath his rich yellow fur, and he had distinguishable silky black mane and blazing green eyes.

King Ahadi had been betrothed to Uru, daughter of the late King Mohatu. They say that Uru was the most beautiful lioness of her time. She had dark-orange fur with a creamy underbelly, and beautiful auburn eyes that she inherited from her father.

It was the midst of a great drought when Ahadi announced the upcoming ceremony of his second born. So at the beginning of dawn, animals began migrating to Pride Rock as a traditional ceremony.

Ahadi stood at the peak of Pride Rock, a great stone that jutted out towards the sky, summoning the small creatures into a small cave beside the great stone.

Inside of the cave, Uru laid on the small slope, where the royals usually slept. In her arms was a small brown bundle. It's belly rose and fell with every breath and Uru smiled down at it, smiling warmly.

The lionesses were already crowded around the queen, who had given birth overnight; but more animals were beginning to crowd around her, anxious to see the new member of the royal family.

Uru drew her tongue over the newborn's crown and it turned itself, slowing opening it's eyes and meeting all of the new faces that were welcoming it in to the world.

"He's opening his eyes for the first time!" A voice said.

Murmurs of "awe" swept through the crowd, and one lioness parted from the sitting lionesses to take a stand beside the queen.

"My, he looks just like his father!" The adolescent lioness said, moving closer to him. "And he's got your fur, Uru."

As the cub let out a yawn and closed it's eyes once more. Everyone quieted down.

Everyone, except for a small golden cub, who moved his way through the crowd and beside the queen. He looked to be about three moons old and seemed fascinated by the sleeping bundle and began sniffing at it curiously.

Uru let out a chuckle, "Meet your new brother, Mufasa."

"Cool, what's his name?" Mufasa asked, prodding the sleeping bundle with one paw. He looked up at his smiling mother.

"Taka." Uru purred softly. "His name is Taka."

A hornbill swooped down to take a stand beside the cub.

Mufasa looked down at his paws nervously. He'd been expecting to have a sibling for quite some time now, after Ahadi had already told him that he would. He was worried about holding the responsibility.

"Mufasa, one day, you will look after Taka." The hornbill said, moving so she could stand face to face with Mufasa.

"Me?" Mufasa echoed.

"Yes, you, darling." Zuzu said, spreading her wings apart dramatically. "I can see it now. You'd make an excellent big brother to Taka."

"Hey. You really think so?" Mufasa beamed with excitement, his nervousness edging away.

"I know so." Zuzu replied, with a warm smile.

"Gee, thanks Zuzu." Mufasa smiled back, and turned to glance at Taka once more.

The animals began parting aside and dark figure moved forward.

It was Ahadi. His face was almost expressionless as he padded up beside his mate. Uru's face shifted into that of concern for the King.

Mufasa stood up so that his father could sit down and smiled up at him excitedly. "His name's Taka, dad."

Ahadi smiled, and nuzzled his mate. The thought of a second son made the King proud, but knew that there were hardly any mouths to feed with all of the droughts.

Raising a son under such conditions should not be prohibited. But since Taka would be a part of the royal family, it could be a possibility.

Ahadi stood up and looked over his wife's shoulder at the sleeping bundle. His new son was a spinning image of his mother, but had some of his facial features.

That night, Ahadi exited the cave and looked up at the stars. He could almost feel the presence of his father-in-law sitting beside him and motivating him like he used to.

He dipped his head in acknowledgement before turning to pad inside of the cave once more.

A star in the sky gleamed at that very moment. It was must bigger than all of the rest, and shined just a little brighter.

Young Taka..