Chapter 8: ⓜⓐⓡⓘⓝⓐ

Chapter 8: Marina

     In the morning, I lay blissfully in Holland's arms. He rested his hand on my bare stomach; the duvet came up to our hips. The sun shone serenely through the partially curtains and illuminated our tangled limbs.

     A smile touched my lips as I Holland drew circles on my bare back. I wriggled even closer to him.

     "Well that was a turn of events," Holland said.

     "Shut up, you just ruined the moment," I said.

     He propped himself up on one elbow, facing me. The covers moved further down his body and my stomach tightened.

     "I'm sorry," he said, rubbing my stomach gently with his thumb. Goosebumps appeared and I shivered. Holland chuckled and removed his hand.

     "What are we doing today?" he continued.

     "Let's turn," I replied. It only had one meaning. Into wolves.

     "You know I haven't actually seen you in wolf form."

     "Haven't you?" I was surprised. We'd known each other for basically all our lives. The first time I turned was when I was fourteen.

     "No. And I don't think you've seen me yet."

     "Mmm," I said.

     Holland got out of bed and wandered towards the kitchen to fix us some breakfast. I got out too, but found it a bit nippy so I pulled on a thin dressing gown.

     In the kitchen, Holland was scrambling some eggs. I sat down at the table and watched him lovingly.

     He set our plates down and sat down himself, but jumped up with a surprised sound.

     "Oooh, it's cold," he said. I laughed.

     Once he'd grabbed his boxers and pulled them on, he ate with me.

     We didn't say much but it was a comfortable silence rather than an awkward silence. Holland occasionally bumped his foot into mine and I giggled every time, blushing. I guess I wasn't used to having a mate. Our mind connection would become much stronger. We, as wolves, would become much stronger.

     I smiled at Holland and finished eating.

*****

     Holland and I stood in the middle of the woods with the least possible amount of clothing. We stripped to our underwear and held hands. My teeth were chattering and I couldn't wait to be in wolf form.

     "Ready?" Holland asked.

     I nodded fervently and shut my eyes, imagining a wolf. I imagined running freely through the trees, the wind in my fur, the soft soil under my paws, the scent of deer.

     I opened my eyes. I hadn't changed. I looked around disbelievingly. Holland was standing there in front of me, in wolf-form, whining gently.

     I put all my clothes back on and sat on the soil. This wasn't right. I had never heard about this happening before. I guessed it didn't mean that it had never happened though.

     "Marina."

     I jumped and turned around.

     Harvey stood there, his eyes narrowed; it was solely directed at me. I stood up.

     He stormed over and pulled my collar away from my neck. Holland growled menacingly and prowled forward, but I put my hand on his nose to stop him from coming forward any further.