Chapter 18

Lex wasn't wrong when he said the open ocean was going to be rough. For miles Mona and me struggle against rough waves, tides, currents, and wind. It doesn't help that stinging rain starts to batter us. My arms burn with every stroke of the paddle. They feel like jelly. By the time we reach where we're supposed to camp, they've gone completely numb.

"Alright, girls. Let's head to shore. Follow me, I'll show you where we need to land."

He effortlessly paddles forward. We do our best to keep up, waves pushing our boats in directions we don't want them to go. I'm not sure where Lex is leading us, it seems straight towards rocky cliffs and outcroppings.

"Make sure not to hit the rocks. Things are gonna get a little tricky here!"

A wave rolls into my kayak and pushes me several feet to the right, and I strain to paddle it back on course. As the shore draws closer, the waves get choppier, crashing off rocks and scattering in random directions. Lex guides us closer and goes left around a large outcropping of rock. Mona and I follow, fighting to keep control of our boats. As we come around, the waves settle and a small cove with a slim beach appears. We shore our kayaks and get out. Lex seems hardly winded.

"Well, wasn't that a riot!"

I fall into the sand, breathing heavily. My arms lay limp outstretched. Mona sits down next to me.

"I'm soaked," she says.

"You are? That's no good. I guess those drysuits are kind of old. . . Maybe not as waterproof as they used to be," Lex rubs his gorgeous hair before pulling it back into a bun, "sorry 'bout that. But, hey! Campsite's just up this hill, once we get up there we can start a fire and dry everything out."

I take a deep breath and sit up. I reach for my water and take a long slug from it, Mona doing the same. The sound of the crashing waves around the corner echoes off the rocks, towering cliffs and foliage on the left and right give a sense of protection and seclusion. Seems like this could be a nice place to camp. I stand up and brush myself off.

"So where'd you say this campsite was?"

"Up behind us here," he turns and points to what looks like a vertical wall of thick forest. "Straight up that way. Don't worry, there's a trail. There isn't enough room above tide line for a campsite here, so we gotta go up. We can leave our kayaks over here though."

After we tie off our kayaks above the high tide mark, Lex leads us back around through the rocks to a small trail that cuts upwards through the vibrant forest and moss as it thickens. We start on the steep path, and gradually it gets even steeper. We stop when it reaches near vertical. I grumble. Can't we just be there already? The trees and plants rise harshly, rolling and climbing upwards at a disorienting angle.

"Alright ladies, campsite's right at the top of this steep incline. There's a rope here you can use to help yourself up. Try not to rely on it completely, it's kind of old. Lightest goes first."

"That's you, Mona."

We start climbing up the steep trail, Mona first, me second, and Lex last. I try and pull myself up with my arms, but they're so weak from paddling, I have to rely mostly on my legs, leaning precariously on the rope even though Lex said not to. With winded breath, we reach the top. The view behind us is truly stunning. The ocean stretches out and lays flat beyond the horizon, the emerald land drops steeply around us, forest falling into stoic rock bluffs and sea stacks battered by sapphire waves. A few small islands dot the foreground, brilliant green on brilliant blue. Small licks of ocean air stir through the forest. It almost makes the climb worth it. Almost.

"Pretty, isn't it?" Lex admires it for a moment. "There's a spot nearby my grandpa used to take me where we can watch the sunset tonight. But let's set up camp first."