Chapter 24 - Step By Step

Xiao Xiao slowly recovered. At first, it was so difficult to even sit up from the bed. Then, with much encouragement from Mother and Ming Zhu, she managed a few tentative steps. Bolder, she walked even more. The poison seemed to have sucked out all her energy. Her legs felt like soft tofu. She wobbled; she had to hang onto something to walk.

She even lost her appetite.

Meanwhile, Mother had people investigating the assassination attempt. A maid was caught with the claim that she was the one who prepared the meal.

"Must be the Empress of the West," Mother fumed. "She hates me."

Xiao Xiao squeezed her mother's hand, trying to reassure her.

Ming Zhu's voice ghosted through her mind. I know who did it.

Who? Xiao Xiao demanded. She would do anything to protect her family.

A churn of powerful silver-red tail and a burst of shimmering bubbles. You might be surprised, Ming Zhu replied.

Outside the wind mourned a sad dirge. Snowflakes started to fall.

~*~

In a courtyard far away, snow had already coated the tiles in a white blanket.

The lady watched from her chamber, alone, clothed in ermine-lined peach-colored gown and ice-cold silence.

She was so close! So close this time.