Chapter Three- His Ball and Chain

A pale light grew in the distance. I was in the middle of the country side, surrounded in fluries and darkness. I just continued in the opposite direction of that house. As long as I did that, I would be okay.

I was a stray by choice. A runaway with no where to run away to. I was building bridges to cross ditches. The cold bit me and wrapped its serpant tails around my legs, going higher and higher until I felt they were going to be torn off.

The light grew closer and I realized it was a fire. How could someone get a fire going through this? I saw to figures leaning against each other right before I collapsed into the snow, my legs too cold to keep walking. The smaller figure turned around, yelling.

"Daddy, Daddy, she can't stand!" It was a little girl. Seven at the most, four at the least.

"Iris, sit closer to the fire. I don't want you freezing to death. I'll handle her." This time, it was a man. A very monsterous sounding man, almost like a snake. Slippery and gravely at the same time.

"Yes Daddy." A tall figure stood, rising to at least six feet tall. Two pale hands reached forward and grabbed my shoulders, roughly seating me by the fire where their faces were more illuminated. I almost lost the green beans I'd eaten earlier.

Scarred, ugly, and beaten, the tall man had held his little girl close. He stared at me intently, not blinking.

With horror, I realized he had no eyelids. His cheeks were scarred and scapped over, exposing his gums and tongue. His pale skin was dried, and I wanted to bed his feet were cracked. His grotesque black hair was greasy and covered in mats and knots. He was a ghastly pale.

The little girl on the other hand, is probably what pure life energy would look like. Platinum blonde hair and beautiful hazel eyes complimented each other. Though, looking at her father, those hazel eyes were his.

Her nose was red-contrasting starkly to her fair skin-from a cold, and her tiny hands were covered in old mittens way too big for her, more than likely her father's.

"Hey there, stranger." He spoke as if he'd known me for years, and that we were old friends. I suddenly got grossed out that he'd touched me, scratching at where his hands were.

It took a moment of heavy breaths to answer.

A "Hello" was all I could muster out of me, looking at this monstrous man.

Suddenly, I felt terribly hypocritical. People probably looked at me like this a lot of the time. I tried to stop concentrating on his off putting looks and just be polite. If I wanted to live a life free of judgements, I'd have to abide by the same rules.

"What's your name? Don't often see people this far out." He chuckled at the end. He was so casual, oddly so.

"I-I'm Marina."

"Marina. Pretty name. I'll have to remember it." I tensed up. He'd remember it. Someone would remember my name. I smiled and relaxed a bit.

"What's your daughter's name?" I asked.

"This is Iris. If you can't tell, she takes after her mother's looks."

"And where is her mother?" Immediately regretting the question.

With a heavy sigh and a look of saddnes, he replied. "She's not with us anymore. My beloved Katherine..." Silence filled the cool night air.

It had gotten uncomfortable. I wanted to leave but the fire was so inviting, and these two people were so polite. The girl was as quiet as a mouse, clinging to father's arm.

"My mommy was really pretty. Do you want to see a picture?"

I nodded, not able to turn down such a sweet little girl. She dug in her pocket and handed me a photo of a beautiful young woman. Blue eyes and similar platinum blonde hair, with the same pale complexion. I smiled at her. What a beautiful woman.

"Isn't she just beautiful? I want to grow up to look just like her." The little girl smiled at me, and I remembered the blanket I had in my bag. She had a cold, and clearly needed it more than me.

"Here. I insist, take it." Her little hands took the blanket from my hands and wrapped herself in it. The man gave me a look of gratitude.

"I can't thank you enough." I shooked my head.

"You let me sit by your fire. It's my way of paying my debt to you, Mr..."

"Jeff. My name is Jeff." In his eyes, at that moment, I saw dragging a ball and chain. And suddenly, I was a little less lonely.