CHAPTER 3

"Erm, James? Where are you going to sleep again?"

He looked around the office and gestured with his hands. "Here, of course." There wasn't a bed or a couch in sight, only a cold hard desk with a matching chair.

"That can't be right," I spluttered. "It's your room and your bed. I should be the one to sleep here in the office." I was about to settle for his desk when he blocked me.

He grasped my shoulders and looked at me in the eyes. "Don't worry," he laughed. "I'll be fine."

"But the desk is so uncomfortable!"

"All the more reason why you shouldn't take it. A soldier's life isn't build upon comfort, Melody. Please take the bed. I insist."

I walked towards the adjoining bedroom reluctantly. "Just promise to tell me when you want your bed back, alright?" I said awkwardly.

He smiled and let out his famous 'ehehe'. "Good night, Melody."

"Good night," I replied as I closed the door. I shut my eyes for a moment and let out a deep sigh before turning to inspect my new room. It was pretty simple. There were only a few pieces of furniture: a bed, a small table beside it, a stool by the window, and a closet.

Before I knew it, I rushed to the bed, grabbed the single pillow, and bit it with all I had. Yes, I bit it. I had to control myself from screeching like a banshee, being the fan girl that I am. OHMYGAWD I WAS GONNA SLEEP IN TOM HIDDLESTON'S ROOOOOOM! Well, Captain Nicholls's room, technically, but what the heck. I'm in love with both.

Still biting the pillow, I threw myself on the bed and pounded my fists on it. The term 'freaking out' would be an understatement. When I finally figured the pillowcase was going to rip, I settled with burying my face in it and breathe in my darling captain's scent. Good Lord, it was heavenly.

I snuggled into the warm covers and turned to my side. Light was still shining from under the door. Looks like James was going to stay up pretty late.

I pulled the blanket up to my mouth and sighed contentedly.

*****

Sunshine was flooding the room when I finally woke up. I stretched and crawled out of bed groggily.

"About time you were up."

I nearly shrieked when I heard a voice behind me. I turned around to find a middle-aged nun by the doorway. Oh wait. She was a nurse. Honestly, why'd they have to wear such ridiculous long caps? She was already frowning but she pressed her lips into a thin line when I let out a soft giggle. "I am Nurse Heartwell. Before anything else, miss Jensenne, I should like to remind you that we nurses here at the camp rise early. At 6 in the morning, to be precise."

I looked back to the small clock on the table. It was 11:03."Oh, of course. I'm so sorry. I won't do it again," I stammered. Goodness, she was scary.

Nurse Heartwell nodded impatiently. "The captain sends his regards. He has turned you over to me so from now on, I shall be responsible for your training. Please change into these and we shall begin."

I took the thick bunch of folded cloth and smiled politely. When she left the room, I quickly shook out the black material. I felt the blood drain from my face as I stared at my uniform. The long sleeved, buttoned-up apparel reached just above my ankles and weighed like a wet mattress. I looked at the crisp white apron and cap that came with it. "They can't be serious," I mumbled incredulously.

The impatient harrumphs of Nurse Heartwell outside gave me no choice but to put on the terrible assemble. When I stepped out of the room, my face was as red as a tomato. I was never gonna live it down. My superior summed me up before giving a grunt of approval. "Come with me, then."