CHAPTER 1

CHAPTER 1

"Melody!" Mrs. Johnson's voice echoed in the theater.

I froze in the middle of the aisle before turning around to face my teacher. I ignored the stares that were coming from the rest of the cast who were also on their way out. "Yes, Mrs. Johnson?"

"Melody, what are we doing here in the theater?" my teacher asked impatiently.

"Rehearsing."

"Rehearsing what?"

I flinched when I realized she was going to patronize me for minutes to come. "Our musical production."

"And when exactly did the musical's story take place?"

"1914...?" I mumbled doubtfully.

"In 1914," she confirmed, pressing her lips into a thin line. "If you're fully aware of that, why is it that I don't feel the authenticity in anything that you've been doing lately?"

I lowered my eyes to the ground. "I don't know."

My teacher sighed. "Melody," she said, grasping my shoulders. "You're one of the best performers I've ever seen but lately, you don't seem like yourself. I've also heard from a few of your teachers that your grades got lower this term. What's wrong?"

I looked up and saw genuine concern light up in her eyes. "Nothing, Mrs. Johnson," I replied. "I guess I was... too relaxed. I'll try my best to improve next time."

"I'll make sure of that."

"What?"

My teacher clapped her hands together in determination. "I'm giving you homework for the weekend, Melody," she said. I was about to splutter in protest but she interrupted me with finality. "You're going to research on World War I."

I looked up to the ceiling and bit my lip to prevent myself from groaning out loud. "What exactly am I supposed to research on?" I asked in defeat.

"Everything," she said gleefully. "You're going to search up the different events and culture that were involved within that time period. Study how the people used to walk, talk, and think. Immerse yourself in your character, Melody. I know you can do it."

For a moment I stared at her in disbelief. She was actually giving me a huge chunk of homework right before a week's worth of vacation. "And I'm assuming it's due right after vacation?"

"Of course!" she said. She patted my arm before heading the backstage.

I turned around as well and brisk walked towards the exit. Once I felt the cool London breeze on my face, I let out the agonizing groan I've been holding and buried my head in my hands. Oh, what a lovely day this turned out to be. I spun around when I heard a familiar chuckle behind me. Trina, my gorgeous chocolate-haired and fair skinned best friend, stood at the entrance.

"So," she giggled as she strode towards me. "Homework, eh?"

I groaned again. She was probably waiting inside the theater with me all along. "I don't wanna talk about it. Go away."

She laughed again and hooked her arm around mine as I started walking. "Nice clothes," she teased. Holding my skirt with her hands, she shook it for emphasis.

"The play's set in the First World War, okay?" I grumbled, snatching my skirt away.

No matter how much I loved the theater, I never really did enjoy the costumes. This time, they made me wear a white long sleeved shirt that grew a bit puffy in when it reached the wrists. It was tucked in by the waist inside a brown pencil skirt that reached just below my knees. Weird, I know. Don't even get me started with the matching rough coat they gave me. The only things I liked were the boots that reached right where my skirt ended.