Chapter Five~ The Drive

Harry grabbed the handle and swung the door open.  A rush of cold air came out. We walked in and I shivered, it felt as though no one had been here for 5 years, even though my mom and dad and I had been in here just 2 days earlier.

“Woah, it’s cold in here.” Harry stated, pulling his sweater tighter around himself.

“Yeah, you think my parents are haunting this place?” I joked. I know this wasn’t really funny, and to this day I will never know why I was coping so well with my parents’ death.

Harry smiled. “Maybe”

“C’mon my room is upstairs.”

We walked up the stairs and into my room.

“I think we should just take the mattress today, and move everything else tomorrow.” I said.

“Yeah, good idea.” Harry agreed, looking around my room.

All of a sudden, there was a scream and a loud crash from downstairs. Harry and I looked at each other wide eyed.

“What the hell?” Harry muttered, heading for the door. There was a faint scuttling noise come up the stairs and go into what was my parent’s room.

My heart froze. Harry walked out and went downstairs. I heard his shoes echoing with each step he took. There was a scratch like nails on a chalk board outside my window.  I screamed at the top of my lungs as I saw a figure race past me out of the corner of my eye. Harry came running back into the room.

“What?”

“Th-there was something…” I stammered, unable to speak.

“What was there?”

“I don’t know it was like white and…”

“Okay, I think maybe we should just take your mattress tomorrow, I can sleep on the couch tonight.” Harry said his glowing green eyes wide.

I nodded vigorously, goose bumps rising on my arm.

I hurried out of the room and Harry was right behind me. I was all too aware of how close he was. I started to go down the stairs when there was another scuttling noise, this time much louder and closer. I was about to turn around when I heard Harry stumble. I turned and saw him almost fall on me, but he caught himself on the railing.

“Wh-“

“Something just pushed me.” Harry said, not bothering to hide how scared he was.

“Okay, let’s get the hell out of here.” I said, and ran down the rest of the stairs. I rushed to the door and pulled it open. The cold breeze that was outside seemed much more welcoming than the breeze inside.

Harry walked out and slammed the door behind him.

“Are you okay?”

“I don’t know, my back really stings.” He said, scrunching his eyebrows together.

We started walking back to Harry’s house.

“Do you think it’s from the cold?”

“Naw, it’s like, burning one spot.”

“Oh, I don’t know”

“What about you, did anything push you?”

“No, I don’t think”

We reached Harry’s house and walked in. It was so warm, much warmer than I thought it’d be.

Harry took off his sweater and walked into the bathroom. He flicked on the lights and closed the door. I went over to his book shelf and started looking at the books. I was mid-way through reading one of the titles when I heard Harry yell.