Lacey

It was a very dark and gloomy night seeing as how it just rained. Everyone was sitting outside wearing small jackets or anything that could provide them of a little warmth ,as they all sat on log stumps around the blazing fire. I walk out of my tent since nobody took the time to make at least little log cabins for everyone or at least for the kids and elders to provide a little more protection from the elements.

I walk quietly over to my father on bare feet feeling the lightly damp earth beneath my feet and the grass that goes between my toes. I bend down lightly placing one hand on his shoulder as I lean over to his ear. I take a deep breath in hoping he will let me go hunt tonight so I won't have to worry about any of the problems that everyone seems to have here.

"Can I go hunting tonight?" I ask studying the side of his face for any indication that he might say no."I'll only be gone for a while.." My father turns to look at me his eyes dark with ageing as the whole ordeal of everything has taken a toll on him. I look at him pleadingly as his eyebrows form a crease making his skin wrinkle more than it was as he looked out at the fire blankly.

"Fine but will you do something for me before you go?" I look at him as I raise an eyebrow wondering what he could possibly want me to do for him." Yes of course anything for you dad.....what is it?" I ask carefully." Good could you pick up all the bowls for me. My back is really starting to hurt me like crazy." "Fine..ok I'll do it" I smile weakly before taking the silver bowl from him,noticing that he hasn't eaten that much of his food.

I shrug glad that he is in one of his better moods and actually treating me like his daughter rather than an outsider that lived in the woods long before the downfall. I walk around picking up all the forks,spoons,knives,and whatever else I need to. I start to walk to the barrel where we put the dishes. I trip over a stump that I didn't see since all the bowls are stacked in front of me. I hit a hard object that stiffens. I drop the plates shocked about to say something when I'm suddenly back handed. My hand flies to my cheek as I look with anger in my eyes up at the person who hit me. There standing in front of me my uncle. I lower my eyes as anger floods me for the first time. I look back at my father who sits staring into the fire and feel my anger rise. I look back and notice my uncles gone before running into the woods.

I laugh to myself, yep not the worst dream I've ever had probly closer to one of the best. I take my shoes off almost passing out from the stench. I really needed that, I wiggle my toes since I havent taken my shoes off since I left. Not bothering to take off my socks I run my finger through my hair pulling out little branches and leaves the best I can." I am Lacey I am 17 years old•••" I say to myself ready for what I'm going to do today. I pull my legs under me looking at my supplies I have laid out.