Constant Craving

Things didn't go as planned, because an hour later, Sheriff Flagon pulled up in front of Petra's house. From the front window, Eren and I watched him step out of his squad car, practically radiating authority. As usual, his brown uniform was in impeccable condition, and even though I knew he was here to discuss what had happened with Jean's father, I still didn't like the sight of him. Last summer I'd become way too familiar with the backseat of his vehicle. Seeing him now, striding up to the front door with a determined expression on his face, I couldn't help but feel a bit sick to my stomach.

            He didn't like me. It didn't matter to him how much I'd changed. The first thing that popped into his head whenever I was mentioned was trouble.

            "Are you feeling all right?" Eren asked, rubbing my back to comfort me. He slipped his hand beneath the hem of my shirt, fingertips warm on my bare skin. With that small gesture of affection, I relaxed, dropping my head onto his shoulder.

            "I'm fine. I just don't get along with the sheriff."

            He brought his hand up to run his fingers through my hair and I turned my head to bury my face against his neck. "It'll be fine. He's probably here to pick you and Jean up to file a report against Jean's dad."

            "I know," I mumbled, my words barely audible. "I just hate this."

            "It will take a few hours to fill out the paperwork, but it's still early in the day, so we'll have tonight to ourselves." He leaned in close, lips skimming along my jawline. "Meet me at your house when you're done with all this."

            I glanced up at him. "You're not going to give up, are you?"

            "Nope. Why? Do you want me to give up?" His hands slid over my hips and up my stomach. Any second now, Sheriff Flagon would ring the doorbell, but I couldn't care any less. Mainly because I couldn't even think whenever Eren touched me this way.

            "No," I said, my breath rushing out of me when his fingertips brushed over my nipples.

            Well, I'll be damned. I didn't think that would actually feel good. You learn something new every day.

            Eren suddenly stepped forward, forcing me to do the same. He didn't stop until my front was pressed against the window. I was glad that the blinds were shielding us from view. "Good," he whispered in my ear, voice as rich as caramel. It sent a vicious shiver down my spine. "I'll take you apart in the best of ways."

            He was taking me apart right now! My legs were barely holding me up.

            When the doorbell rang a few seconds later, I expected him to back away from me, but instead he slipped his fingers beneath my chin to tilt my head back. I got the briefest of views of his face before his tongue was in my mouth, hand hot and possessive on my neck, keeping me rooted to the spot. I moaned into the kiss, tasting his breath on my tongue. Suddenly, my hip pressed hard against the window, the cold glass sending a shock throughout my body.

            Every part of me wanted to be closer to him. He had become my sun, constantly drawing me in to his warmth and beauty until I began to orbit around him just to catch a glimpse of his smile. Yet, in the end, his absence would burn me alive and leave me alone in utter darkness. After he was gone, I would never see my guiding light again. I'd be lost, forever searching for something that had diminished with time, but had left behind a blazing ember in my heart.

            "Don't leave me," I whispered before I realized what I was saying. Then it hit me all at once and I froze in horror.

            How could I say something so selfish?