Just When I Thought Things Were Going to Get Better

That night I still had Potions, although I had already taken my exam. I had protested, saying that school was basically over, but in the end Uncle Severus had won the fight and I found myself in his office.

"It won't kill you. You need as many lessons as you can get." Uncle Severus said as he thrust a cauldron into my hands. "Now, turn to page 518 and-" He stopped as he saw Professor Lupin run by the open door. "I'll be back..." My Uncle said as if he remembered something.

Suddenly, he grabbed a vial that was sitting on one of his shelves and ran out of the room.

"Remus!" I heard him call after Lupin, but apparently Lupin didn't respond, because I saw my Uncle run the other way.

"Uncle Severus!" I stuck my head out the doorway and shouted.

"Read over your lesson! I'll be back in a moment!"

Shrugging, I sat down in his chair. I started to read my lesson like I was told, but it couldn't hold my attention.

Looking around for something else to do, I started snooping through my Uncle's desk. It had several drawers, so I started with the one nearest me. Inside I found a couple pieces of parchment, a pot of ink, and some money...boring.

In the next drawer I found the letter I had written him at the Malfoy Manner. I began to read;

Dear Uncle Severus,

I think I might want to go back. Mrs. Malfoy hates me! Plus, the Christmas Ball is tomorrow and I do not have a gown! Will you PLEASE come get me?

Love,

Eleanor

I began to put the paper back when another paper caught my eye; another letter. I picked it up to see that it was dated Christmas Eve, the morning after I had written mine. Apparently he didn't get my letter until that morning.

Dear Eleanor,

All of a sudden I saw Uncle Severus run past the door.

"Uncle Severus! What are you-"

"You lessons, Eleanor!" He snapped from down the hallway. I nodded, but instead of reading about the history of medical potions, I continued reading the old, unsent letter.

Dear Eleanor,

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. I will come get you before the Ball. If you change your mind

And then there was nothing. This must have been where he had gotten the idea of getting me the gown. I was wondering where he had gotten a gown on Christmas Eve, but I shoved the thought, along with the letter, away.

In the next drawer I found the results of the end of the year exams. I started skimming the list for familiar names.

Draco, Vincent, Goyle, Pansy(Sadly), and I had all passed. My eyes moved to the other houses. To my disappointment when I went to Hufflepuff I was that Sarah Beth had also passed. I continued to read the list for five or ten minutes until, like my assignment, it lost my attention.

Opening the next drawer, I found another letter. It had been stuffed back into the envelope and looked very official. When I picked it up to examine it, I saw that the broken seal was of the Ministry of Magic. I pulled the paper form the envelope and read;

To Mr. Severus Snape,

It has come to our (The Ministry of Magic) attention that your brother, Fyrus Snape, has not only been practicing Dark Magic, but his practices has also resulted in his untimely death. It has also been brought to out attention that your niece, Eleanor Snape, is now left with no caretaker. It would be in her best interests if you would take her into your custody as her guardian, if you will.