Epilogue

The only sound I could hear was my son's laughter.

It was an early morning in the late spring, and Emmett was currently chasing three year old Brantley around our expansive backyard. He was squealing with delight, running as fast as he could as his father tailed after him.

I was sitting on a the newly built back porch, rocking in a rocking chair with a warm cup of hot cocoa in my hand. There was a wedding ring on my left hand. Emmett and I had gotten married four and a half months ago.

After Brantley was born, every one was wondering when we would get married. Of course, I knew that I would spend the rest of my life with him. But we waited until the time was right for us to have the wedding.

Something else had happened the night of the wedding, and the proof of that was shown in the swell of my belly. Our daughter was due sometime in the fall, and we couldn't be any more excited. I was twenty now, with Emmett being twenty two.

We were pretty young to have two children, something some people loved to point out. But we were happy, and our family was well taken care of - and that was all that mattered.

Aunt Lauren and the boyfriend she was dating when I was pregnant had broken up, but she was now happily engaged to a man named Ben. My mother and I were close, and she was single but happy about it.

Katie and I were still friends, but not as close as we'd be if we lived closely together. Brooke was my best friend and my sister in law, and we did everything together. She had recently began dating a guy named Alex.

Kira was thriving, having long since lost her timid nature. She was friendly, out going and very very smart. She had a special place in my heart. I was so glad that I was able to help her.

Nicole and I weren't close, but she didn't hate me like she used to. I never did find out why she hated me so much, but I had long since stopped caring. We were civil to each other now.

My gaze returned to my husband and my son, who were now wrestling in the grass. I looked at him, remembering how everything had changed almost exactly four years ago. How four years ago, all of this started.

There was a wicker coffee table in front of me, on which sat an old white envelope. In that envelope was a letter that was four years old. A letter that never got delivered because I had written before I knew that I was pregnant. I had written it when I thought Emmett was a person I would never see again.

With tentative hands, I put down the cup of cocoa and picked up the letter. Emmett had never read it,  but I was thinking about showing it to him soon. I opened it up and pulled out the faded later.

Dear Emmett,

    I didn't think that hooking up with someone on a spring break trip would ever be something that I would do. I'm usually more careful, more guarded...You know how high school guys can be. But there was something about you that I was drawn to, something I couldn't say no to. Something I didn't want to say no to. I knew that I would probably never see you again, so I wanted you in any way I could have you in that short time period.

    It's been three weeks, and you're on my mind constantly. I keep telling myself that I'm being stupid, that it was just a spring break fling and you probably forgot about me before you even left Bay County. But I can't forget about you and I don't want to.

    You changed something about me. I'm not sure what it is yet, but I just feel different. Everything from that night is burned into my memory, as clear as the day it happened. I know this sounds silly, but I want to get it out. Even though you won't read this...I want you to know.

I think I started falling for you the moment I laid eyes on you.

    - Charlotte

Carefully, I folded the letter back up and slipped it back into the envelope.  I remember the night I wrote that letter, who it was just a few weeks before I found out I was pregnant.

I wouldn't change anything that happened for the world, and I was glad that I got pregnant at only seventeen. I thought about what I'd written, and I knew that even then I loved him.

"How are you doing, baby?" Emmett asked, winded as he stepped onto the porch. Chasing after Brantley often got him tired. Now our son was riding around the yard with his mini toy John Deere tractor.

"I'm great. Here's some sweet tea," I said, handing him the cup that I'd brought out a few minutes before. I moved to the bench and he sat down next to me, sliding his arm around me.

"I love you, Emmett," I said, leaning my head on his shoulder.

"I love you too, darlin," He said, reaching over with his free hand to grab mine. "How are you and the baby feeling?"

"We couldn't be any better," I said honestly.

"Momma!"

Brantley's little voice filled my ears as he carefully walked up the porch stairs. He bounded over to wear I sat, his arms out raised. I bent down and scooped him up, setting him on my lap.

"Baby?" He asked, placing his hand on my belly. It took a few weeks, but he was starting to understand what was going on with my belly. And now that he was getting it, he seemed fascinated.

"Yes, Brantley. Your little sister is in there."

"Baby," He said, a little bit more tenderly. "I love baby."

"And baby loves you too," I said, holding him a little bit closer.

My heart swelled. People frowned upon young pregnancy, but there wasn't a thing about my life that I would change. Obviously, there were ups and downs but I was blessed beyond belief.

I loved these two - and soon to be three. They brought out the best in me, and helped me grow in ways that I wouldn't be able to otherwise. There wasn't a thing that I wouldn't do for them.

They were my entire world.

Author's Note: Wow, I can't believe this story is over! :( I'm very sad. I'm going to miss writing about Emmett and Charlotte. I love them so much!! <3 Originally, I wasn't going to give Brantley a sibling but I didn't want him to be an only child and I think the southern gentleman Emmett will make sure he is will make him the perfect older brother. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to do a sequel (A spin off, really.) but haven't decided 100% yet. I have an idea in my head. I'll let you guys know soon...

I put this story in the Wattys so we will see where it goes!

I'd like to tell you guys I LOVE YOU GUYS. I honestly can't thank you enough for all the support you've given me. You guys are the best fans, and have gotten his story to over three million views! YOU ARE THE BEST.