When I was Your Age

It has been five years.

                Five amazing years since I met the love of my life and a year and a half since I could call her my own. After the first two years of getting to know her and seeing ever beautiful thing she is I knew she was the one for me. The only reason I didn’t ask her to be my girl for so long was because she was always telling me how unfit she was for relationships. Finally thought I just grabbed the courage and went for it and now almost two years later, everything is great. It is time to take things further.

                So  find myself here, on the porch of the old farm house my girl grew up in. Slowly I take a deep calming breath and knock on the door. In this moment the man I knew to be a kind hearted and fair man, quite honestly terrified me.

                “John, come in! What brings you here this fine day? Where is my daughter?”

                “Well I came to talk to you Sir.”

                “About what son?”                                  

                “Well Sir… You know I love your daughter right? And I want nothing more than to care for her until the end of our days?” He nodded so I continue. “I came to ask for your blessing to ask your daughter for her hand in marriage.”

                Suddenly the kind look on his face goes stern and mean.

                My eyes go wide and it takes all I have just to swallow.

                “Do you have what it takes, son? Are you ready to take on the responsibilities of taking care of my daughter through the rough and smooth? Are you ready to have me as a father-in-law? Are you ready to have my grandchildren? Because if you make one mistake or break my daughter’s heart I will hunt you down and make you wish you were nothing. Do you understand me?”

                My eyes were wide. “Y-y-yes, S-sir. I know th-hat we are ready for this and I-I-I will take care of h-h-her.”

                Just then amusement filled his eyes and he was full heartedly laughing. “You remind me of myself at your age, John. Of course you have my blessing.”