Chapter 19: Lucky To Have Him

I woke up the next morning and the thoughts of last night immediately rushed back into my mind.

-Flashback-

I ran out the room and weaved through the people in the hall, as I ran to get some fresh air outside. I wasn't about to cry, but at the same time it looked like I was. I don't know how to explain it, but I'm just feeling a wave of different emotions right now.

I arrived at the elevator and pressed the button. A few seconds later, the doors open and I ran right into Jesse. "Woah, where's the fire?" he teased, but immediately changed his expression when he saw my face closely, "Hey, what's wrong?"

I shook my head and pushed past him. "Nothing is wrong, I have to get something from the car." I lied and pressed the ground floor button.

The doors slid together to close, but Jesse used his hand to stop it. "I'll come with you."

"No, I'm fine."

He chuckled. "Honestly, it's no big deal. I want to g-"

"Jesse, go away! I want to be alone; you're annoying me!" I raised my voice, cutting him off.

A hurt expression came across his face and he finally removed his hand, allowing the doors to close all the way. Before it did, I saw him turn around and walk off without a word said.

-End-

Yesterday, when I got out of the hospital, I walked down the block and sat in a McDonald's. I didn't have a car, so I called Nadia to pick me up and I just texted my mom that I left with her. For the whole night, I was locked up in my room, completely ignoring everyone.

Sadly, today is the first day of school, after our break and I don't want to face Jesse. I feel so horrible for the way I treated him, by letting out my anger on him. He didn't deserve that at all.

I sat up in my bed and ran my fingers through my hair, sweeping it out of my face. Then, I got up with a groan and got ready for school.

□□□

It was the end of the day and I still haven't seen Jesse. Each time I turn around to check the time and I don't see him behind me, a little piece of me rips off inside.

"Maryam!"

I was immediately snapped out of my mind and turn to face a pissed off Mr. Hasan."Yes?"

He tapped the board with his yardstick. "The math is up here, not on Jesse's desk."

A few chuckles and snickers erupted from other kids and I felt a bit embarrassed. "Sorry." I mumbled and focused back on the lesson.

□□□

The bell rang and everyone rushed out. Nadia and I, were the last to leave. "Maryam, can I please speak with you."

I nodded and Nadia place a hand on my shoulder. "I wait by your locker." she informed me and left. I walked over to his desk and waited for him to speak.

"I didn't call you over to lecture you, for not paying attention in class. In fact, I want to congratulate you. So, you can calm down." he assured. I let out a sigh of relief and listened.

"You have done a great job with, Jesse! His grades have improved substantially; I've spoken with his other teachers and they said his doing well in their classes too." he started, "Are you helping him in other subjects too?"

I shook my head. "No, Jesse is actually a really smart guy!" I assured him, "He's just lazy and bad at math." I shrugged, with a small smirk.

Mr. Hasan chuckled and removed his glasses."I'm not complaining, but why the sudden change in grades and effort in his other class?"