Awkward encounters

Cuteboy seemed lost for words. Aziya relished the look on his face. Rendering people speechless was the next best thing to defying their expectations. 'How much did you...' He trailed off, uncertain of what to say. 

'Hello ma'am,' came a cheerful voice in whose direction Aziya had avoided looking at.

Well, no time like the present.

'Hello,' said Aziya warmly. He looked just as good with his shirt on, Aziya admitted to herself.

'I've heard all about you. Here to see dad, is that right? What's the beautiful name of this beautiful woman?'

Ah compliments.

'Aziya.' she said, determined to not show her nervousness.

'I'm Varun,' said Cuteboy suddenly. The two of them turned to him. He seemed to shrink slightly. 'Just thought you ought to know,' he mumbled.

'I'm Siddharth. You can call me Sid,' said Hotboy brightly.

'Okay?' said Aziya, unsure.

'Friends?' he said, sticking out an arm for a handshake. Who even does that anymore? His arm also happened to have extremely well defined muscles, as Aziya noted.

'Sure. Friends.'

They shook hands. He had a strong handshake, for sure. His eyes narrowed. Their hands stopped shaking.

'Hold on a second. Do I know you?'

Aziya mentally sighed. And it had been going so well too.

'Do you? I don't think so.'

'I could have sworn I've seen you before.'

'I just got back this morning, so I don't think so.'

He still hadn't let go of her hand. She was sure he could feel it shaking.

He pulled her a little closer. 'Are you sure you don't remember me?'

'If I had seen you before, I would have remembered, believe me,' said Aziya, realising a second too late that it was a compliment as well. Her heart was hammering.

For a second, his hand held hers tighter. Then his smile broadened, and he let go. 'Hell yes, you would have.'

She made a note to herself : Hotboy can be distracted with compliments. Also, he's a narcissistic bum.

She heard Varun sigh.

'Alright, I'll see you later. Got some things to sort out. Bye kids,' he flashed Aziya a wink before leaving the room.

'Yep. That's my brother,' said Varun, sounding quite out off by the fact. He pushed his glasses further up his nose

'Charming,' said Aziya.

'You really think so?'

She scoffed. 'Nope. I mean, he is hot and all that but I've dealt with enough big egos to last a lifetime.' 

She cringed internally. Did Varun really need to know that she found his brother hot? Ugh she always over-unloaded.

'I see.'

His watch beeped.

'Oh, Dad's up.'