•Chapter 2•

It's 3.30pm. The cameras are off.

The Overseers are mostly off duty. There's no point watching us while we sleep. We aren't doing anything then, there's nothing for them to observe .

Or so they think.

I quickly slide my hand against the panel and my glass door slides open without a sound, allowing me to slip out of my cavity and onto the ladder. Apparently the people outside have things called mattresses which are rectangular and bouncy with pillows and blankets, but in the Xplic we arn't so lucky and have to put up with a thick foam board. It's not exactly the most comfortable thing in the world, but I guess it's better than sleeping on the floor.

Our Canton rooms have a whole wall which is covered with circular holes, sealed with doors made of glass. The name 'cavity' is a very good one, because it describes exactly what they are. They're only about as long as an average adult and only just high enough for you to be able to slide in and out. Mine is on the 4th row up which means getting out is harder than getting in, seeing I'm 3 metres off the ground. They usually lock the opening panels, causing them to become unresponsive, trapping whoever is inside till morning, but not now.

Becuase as I mentioned before, it's 3.30pm. 

I silently press my feet into the cold metal rungs and descend to the ground, my feet tingling and complaining at the cold. The whole room is freezing as they turn off the air heaters at night... as well as all the alarms and locks in the cavity doors.

It's what I call "The Shut Down". All the door locks become deactivated between 3.30 and 4.30 as they charge up their electricity store once again and the alarm triggers are all put on hold. It's pretty convientient actually but then, I'm not exactly supposed to know about it.

I run silently across the Canton Room and swipe the panel beside it and wait as the door begins to slide open. Then I quickly slide my hand across the pane again to stop it from opening any further. The smaller the gap, the less likely the guardians are to notice. At least that's my logic anyway.

The Guardians are huge metal robots that are shaped like eggs with an inbuilt light lazer beam that scans the surrounding area as it hovers around the corridors during the night, to catch people that get out. They sound pretty harmless but believe me, you don't want to be found by one. They have a massive energy charge in them, that when shot out in a light beam, has the power to temporarily electrocute all your nerve impulses, meaning you can't move and stops you from running away. The impulse also sends a direct message to the head office, who them come and take you away.

I haven't had a proper encounter with one, yet.

I peer through the gap to ensure there are no guardian's patrolling outside, but there are none, the corridor is empty. However the ominous groan of hover-motor buzzing is approaching. It's now or never.

I slide through the narrow space and into the corridor as quickly as I can before running on my tip toes down the corridor, keeping inline to the wall. I pause next to a left turning, waiting for the metal machine to come past me. It always does. Same time, same place. The patrol routes never change.Sure enough within a minute, the robot has hummed past me, it's lazer light failing to pick me up in the shadows. Then I run.

It's my only way to see the real world, because in here? This isn't real life. Sure it's 'A life', we are ALIVE. But we are not LIVING.

I enter the Observation room and hurry towards the left wall, avoiding the various equipment spaced around the room. I've been plugged up to most of them at least once in my life, and I don't particularly want that again. But it's not the equipment I want. It can rust for all I care.

I want the window.

It's the only window I've ever seen in the whole of the Xplic. It's my secret, my little link to the outside world. A world where the outsiders don't have to live in stupid sterile environments, where running is allowed. A world were they all have sunny blond hair and sky blue eyes.

The Real world.

I push back the cupboard which stands in front of the glass and then I sit cross legged and watch. It's only about as wide as my hand, but it is enough. I see more through this small window than half the Populous will ever see in a lifetime. I watch the people scurry and walk below me, completely oblivious of the girl watching them above. Half of them don't even know there are people in here. I watch the cars go past , the blimps floating by slowly, and birds flying in the air darting between the vehicles.

Their day-time is our night time. We all sleep while the they run around obliviously, going about about their daily life in sun, while here, all we ever see is white beams from artificial alumilights. One day, I'll get there. Away from the overeeers and these annoying flashing lights...

Wait, stop. My senses heighten. Something's wrong. There's something wrong, they shriek.

I'm brought out of my daydream sharply when I realise what's happening. The light packs have started to buzz and flicke, the door panels are humming again.

No, no no, not yet, it's too early, not yet. Why? It's too soon. This shouldn't be happening. Not yet not yet

I hurriedly push back the cupboard and the room is once again plunged into darkness, but now I know this won't be for long. I slide back the panel and slide through the gap before running as fast as I can.

Run, just run, don't stop now, no time, just run!

I need to get back to the Canton. Being found outside your canton at night, results you being classified as Dissatisfied. If I ever want to get to the outside, being dissatisfied is the last thing I need.

I sprint through the white corridors my black hair flowing out behind me as I pass the other dormitary doors. V6...V7...V8... I dash into the X Corridor, taking more caution now, the guardians will now be even more active, prowling around every corner, every passage way.

X2... X3....

X4. 

The lights flash on. The door slides shut.

The scanners flash with the words "LOCK ACTIVE" and the laser over the pass-lock glows-green.

The Shut Down is over.  

 And I am still outside.

************************************************************************************************************

Authors note:

:O shes stuck outside :O how r00d much shock such wow x3

Thanks for reading again :) Sorry about the tiny minuiture cliffhanger ;o Hope you liked it anyway, if you did please could you give it a vote to let me know that at least one person is enjoying it! x3 You could always comment too,  tell me what you think! :D It would make my day that 80% better c;

And OOOoooOO look at the gif I found which is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for this chapter omigosh! X3 I was seriously impressed with that. Well it doesnt fit exactly....but whatever, it's close enough >.< it captures the whole RUN thing very well ^.^

Anyways, bye for now, see you next chapter c:

-love Chloe xx