28

Reis and Evie banged into Jason's house while the pizzas were cooking, obviously used to coming and going as they pleased. Cass felt a pang of jealousy: this was the first time she'd even been in Jason's house. Things like that took time, and she'd been on the island-she tallied up days-only a week? It felt like months, so much had happened.

"Where were you?" Evie asked.

Reis rolled his eyes. "What she means is, 'Hi, Cass. Nice to see you. We missed you last night.' We're still working on her manners."

Evie ignored him. "We need you at every practice if you're going to sing with us. I thought you got that. It's this weekend, which gives us five days to get ready."

"Less," Reis added. He ducked Evie's swing at his arm. "'Cause we're repairing the stage Wednesday, right? And Friday we're going to Friday Harbor for supplies and stuff. I bet we won't have time to practice either of those days."

Cass felt a slow flush spreading upward to the roots of her hair. "Sorry. I wasn't feeling well. I kind of crashed."

"You fell asleep? You mean you slept through practice?"

Crap. Maybe she shouldn't have mentioned that bit. "I was sick."

"Lay off, Eves," Jason broke in. "We still have time and, like we said before, she doesn't have to join us on every piece."

Evie stalked to a barstool without answering, but she thawed somewhat as they ate. Cass devoured five pieces despite the fact that she'd eaten only a few hours before. She was ravenous.

"Nice," Reis said when she went back for her sixth piece. He gave her a thumbs-up. "I like a girl who isn't afraid to eat."

The funny thing was that even though Evie had been torqued that Cass missed the previous night, they didn't need her for the last half of the rehearsal because they were working on a piece that didn't have a vocal part. Cass found a seat on an upturned bucket and. Reis's face shone with sweat after ten minutes' hard drumming. Evie stuck out her tongue every time she hit a tricky part and even though she had sheet music propped on her keyboard, Cass didn't think she was using it.

Jason was the one she kept coming back to. When he picked up the violin, it became part of him. He cradled it to his cheek so tenderly, the thought flashed through her mind that she'd like to be in its place.

His eyes opened and she looked away, but not before his gaze had caught hers. She felt that tell-tale heat creep across her face. She wished-for the hundred thousandth time-that she tanned enough to hide all the times she turned fire engine red.

"Evie, I don't like the blend yet. Can you cut it back a little?" Jason said. "Back up to just after the drum solo and we'll try it again."

The setting sun's rays hit the sea glass that dangled in every window, setting the room afire with color. Cass held up a hand to catch a flicker of blue. It held on her palm a minute before fading, only to be replaced by others.

A streak of gold played off Jason's violin. It reflected up to light his face and shone in the fine hairs of his cheekbones.

His eyes opened as she studied him. The violin notes trailed off.

Evie clicked the switch on her keyboard. "Honestly, you two," she growled. "Quit making eyes at each other. It's embarrassing."

Cass felt another flush flame her cheeks.

A lazy smile spread across Jason's face. "That's probably enough for tonight, anyway, don't you think? We've still got tomorrow and Thursday." He spoke to Evie, but his eyes never left Cass.