15

They spent the rest of the night running songs and testing mixes. Jason had rearranged all their pieces for instrument-only, so it wasn't just a matter of Cass learning words and music. Every song she joined, the others had to relearn their parts as well.

"Can't do it," Evie said, when Reis suggested Cass sing everything. "I'm babysitting ten hours a day so I can get time off at the end of the week. There's no way I'll have time to work on every single piece. I can do three, maybe four, tops."

Then the argument turned to which pieces would benefit most from adding a vocalist. They worked their way through one song after another, stopping and starting to rework harmonies and transitions. Cass's skin felt flushed with singing and heat and Jason's presence. He kept finding excuses to lean against her, to touch her elbow.

"Guys," Reis said finally. "I have to go home or my mom will wig."

"But we're not ready yet," Cass protested.

Jason burst out laughing. "Do you have any idea what time it is?"

She shook her head.

Reis took a last swig of his soda and stomped the can flat. "Quarter after ten. I've got a 10:30 curfew and if I want to be allowed to go to the party at all, I'd better not be late tonight."

"Me too, and unlike Mr. Sticks, here," Evie kicked Reis's stool, "I have to be up early with the wonder-twins."

"Poor widdle Evie."

Evie paused only long enough to switch off the keyboard before grabbing Reis's drumsticks and aiming them at his head. Reis ducked for the door.

"Same time tomorrow," Jason yelled after them. "Don't be late!"

He turned as Cass stepped forward and they did that awkward you-go-first dance. Her hand brushed his side; every nerve flared as they both froze, their faces inches apart. The desire to close the distance was an ache in Cass's chest; the fear that he would pull back, a sharp pain.

She swayed backward. Jason stepped away, set his violin in its case with exaggerated care.

"You walked here?" he asked.

"Yes."

"We should practice riding again, or you'll spend all your time hiking back and forth." Latches clicked shut, startling in the quiet. "Let me grab a flashlight. I'll walk back with you."

"I'll be fine," she said quickly. "Besides, don't you have a curfew?"

"Sort of." His fingers brushed her arm again.

He touched so easily. It was delightful-and maddening, because clearly he had no idea how every contact jolted through her. She didn't think it meant anything to him. She'd seen him do the same with Evie and Reis.

"But Gramps won't mind," he went on. "I'll just explain to him about my new friend who's afraid of riding her bicycle-"

Cass expelled a breathy laugh.

"-and he'll be all over the damsel in distress thing."

"You don't have to-"

"It's settled. I'm coming whether you want me or not. Just a sec while I grab a light."

Cass searched for meaning-in his words, the way his eyes caught hers, the way he looked quickly away-but she couldn't read him. She couldn't tell if his offer stemmed from obligation or because he wanted to spend time with her. She couldn't tell if he was drawn to her or afraid of her. Or both.

But the truth was that she didn't want to leave him. Her skin prickled with energy, so that she didn't know how she would ever sleep; it still felt unreal that the sun had set. She wanted the night to go on and on. She wanted him to come with her. She wanted anything that would prolong their time together.