Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Two days later, the lady of the house, once more, and quite unexpectedly, came down to the kitchen. Quite why she had decided to take me under her wing, and treat me so much better than the rest of the staff within that house, was a mystery to me.

    That she befriend me so quickly, and without any apparent reservations, did not go unnoticed below stairs, however.

    Anyhow, as I said, she entered the kitchen, dressed for the weather outdoors rather than for a day at home. She stopped, looked around, searching out Cook I wagered; all the while, I tried to follow her movements without seeming to do so.

    Then her eyes fell upon me. She moved towards me, smiled and said how wonderful it was to have somebody so young and so full of life to talk to within the house. I bowed my head, more in embarrassment, but my eye's continued to follow her as she made her journey around the kitchen.

    She continued talking, saying how much she loved the isolation of Hill House, but that one should not be cut off completely from society.

    Then she moved toward Cook and said, "Cook, Lizzie is off to fetch her coat now," she looked at me, this time without smiling, and bid me go with a slight nod of her head. At that point, I was unsure if her command for me to get my coat was code to leave the premises. Was I being dismissed? Was this more of her capricious charm, of which the staff whispered? Or worse, was she about to drag me back to London again, and seek out my people, as she had promised earlier that week?

    As I left the kitchen, and ran up the servants stairs to my room, I fretted that my short stay at the house was over. Or, if she was still intent on wishing to meet my family in the flesh – those she thought had pleaded in the letter I presented to her husband, then I would have to plan a way of escaping her when we reached London. I formulated that I would ask her to wait in the carriage, then at the first opportunity disappear into the London crowd and seek out Blake.

    I picked up my coat, then threw it back onto the bed. I changed out of my work clothes and put on the clothes I had worn when I first arrived. If I was to make an escape, I would need street clothes to blend in.

    When I returned downstairs, Cook was looking more confused than I. She was in no position to question the mistress of the house, of course, but the continual disruption of taking me from the kitchen had clearly troubled her.

    "I know you are trying to disguise it, but I am sure I've  upset you, Cook. But you know so very well my fancies by now," Mrs Morelle said. "I'm sure you'll make do in Lizzie's short absence."

    "I will struggle through as best I can, ma'am, but I shall require Lizzy for this afternoon," she said.

    "Oh, she will be returned by then," she replied.

    "Where are we going, ma'am?" I asked.

    "You can stop worrying too, dear Lizzie. We are merely off out to take a long, bracing walk," she began. "And seeing as my husband is still reluctant to hire a lady's maid for me, Lizzie is the only suitable companion to accompany me on my journey."

    Cook looked to the floor, "Very well, ma'am."

    I could tell that my absence would mean more work for the other members of the household staff. As cook looked towards me, I smiled but did not expect one, and indeed did not receive one, in return.

    We walked down the hill towards the town; a crisp, dry wind rushing up from the river to greet us. On the opposite hillside, further down the river, stood a large hotel – The Star and Garter, and it was in that direction we began to walk.